22.5 degrees ouside and I am inside

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by sospan, May 5, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its blinking typical the results of global warming have reached Wales and I am in the workshop machining up timber.

Guess this will be summer over as monsoon season must start soon

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rather nice here, sat in the garden,with coffee, bickies & I'm watching cricket other side of the hedge.:)

3. That's chust not cricket, KIAB.

(And you can take that any way you like... :) )

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:p:p:p

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Cricket - we could never understand cricket down here in Wales. A game designed by the upper classes and played at a rate most trade unionists would promote - something that should take a morning takes three days and has more rest breaks than playing time and designed in a country where the weather normally stops you playing it.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:)No choccy sauce!:(

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

About 15c outside where I am. Stove lit in the living room which is about 30c. My Dad is wearing a thermal vest, shirt, heavy woolen cardigan and a jacked over all that.
    He thinks it just OK.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Can go off you two.;)

After days of being in workshop, the cheap Aldi router I keep to use in jigs decided to lock up whilst in use and throw the bit out - not only wrecking the bit but also spoiling the 5 ft piece of paneling I was working on .

Its off to buy a new router and then salvage what I can from the panel

so now not only hot but bothered as well :mad:

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well this can happen with cheaper brand of power tools..:p

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, that the trouble with things like that - long term reliability. While it worked it was ideal for putting into jigs because it wasn't too tall, heavy, had a reasonable size base. Put a defect report into Aldi's as it could have been an nasty accident as the bit took of several chunks off the base on its way out on the bench.

And to round off the day, I a few weeks ago I made some custom fitted bedside cabinets and was told by the customers that they gave me the wrong mesasurement and would it be "too much effort to make each one narrower by 25mm?" as their new headboard won't fit between them!

12. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

For once, yesterday, I was working on my own house, rather than someone else's. But I can think of better places to be than digging up a cracked underground soil-pipe and putting in a new 'Y' junction for the newly created bathroom. It wouldn't have been quite so bad had the thundering cretin who laid down the path not decided that a minimum depth of 12" was the correct thickness. Getting under that to get to the pipe was like trying to poke butter up a porcupine's **** with a hot needle.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very lucky to walk away without a scratch from that one.

One I've learnt after 30 years plus, never trust other peeps measurements,measure yourself then if it's wrong then you only yourself to blame.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had exactly the same problem here,replaced gully by back door, had to break up 12" of concrete path to get the pipe, then remove further concrete encased around the pipe, & gully.
    Had visions of the clay pipe from gully which it connected to a junction coming from stack pipe breaking & me have to replace the whole darn lot.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wasn't so much an issue of accuracy of measurements - more of accuracy of expectations. Aftef allowing for the size of their super kingsize bed which is near 2m across and a 250mm gap down each side wasn't expecting them to go out and buy a headboard that must be the size of a driveway gate. They had the measurements but obviously desire over ruled logic

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So, your exonerated of any blame.:)

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No doubt I will cop for something can't even imagine how they got the headboard up the stairs into the room because it must be around about the size of a full sheet of ply and I bet its something that has to be fixed to the wall rather than the bed

19. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

I hired a soil-pipe cutter. I definitely wanted to avoid a visit from Mr. Cockup, and I didn't fancy digging a WW1-style trench just so I could use an angle-grinder.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Couldn't use a soil pipe cutter, as pipe was too tight to wall, so went with a T trench just wide enough to fit my stihl saw.:)