22mm Isovalve fitting wrong way

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by generaljobber, Jul 31, 2006.

1. generaljobber

generaljobber New Member

I have fitted a 22mm ISO valve the wrong way around, it has an arrow which I assumed was flow direction, which i inadvertantly fitted in the wrong direction. It is all in situ now and will be a bit of hassle to remove and turn around but not impossible. When I was fitting it I noticed it wasn't fully stopping the flow but I carried on and got the job done as i assumed it just wasn't quite sealing fully. The line the valve is in is simply the hot water for the bath and is close to the bath.

My question is a) Does the value being the wrong way around cause it to not fully isolate or will it still not completely stop the flow if I switch it around.

B) Will it cause any other problems if it is left fully open, I may be tempted to leve it and fit another one slightly closer to the Tap.

Any help would be great

2. doitall

doitall New Member

I should be really mean and not tell you as I doubt many if anyone will know why the arrow is there

The arrow is not a flow arrow, but denotes the end of the valve that can be safely depressurised when turned off.

The little ball in the valve is held in with a sprung clip, if for example in your case the arrow is facing away from the tap and you were to turn the water off, as soon as you depressurise and disconnect the pipe from the valve, the little ball can and will fly out the end Oooooooooops :(

Not quite so critical on low pressure.

3. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Never knew that Do it all, learn something knew everyday in this game.

4. plummit

plummit New Member

Bung, drain down. A valve on a valve is unprofessional. We all make mistakes, but we can correct.

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Not disagreeing with doitall's description, in your case if you've fitted the valve with the arrow pointing towards the bath tap, then it is fitted the correct way round (which also coincides with the direction of flow) and the reason that it doesn't completely stop the flow, is that it is faulty and should be replaced.

BB

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Do let us know if your ball drops out.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. doitall

doitall New Member

Not disagreeing with doitall's description, in your
    case if you've fitted the valve with the arrow
    pointing towards the bath tap, then it is fitted the
    correct way round (which also coincides with the
    direction of flow) and the reason that it doesn't
    completely stop the flow, is that it is faulty and
    should be replaced.

BB

The valve has been fitted with the arrow facing away from the tap in this case and the ball has probably come loose when he first turned the water on.

trust me BB ;) when used as an local isolation valve, then the flow is normally the direction of the arrow, but where they're fitted say in line, the arrow signifies the end that can be taken apart.

Stick a hose pipe on the reverse end and see what happens .

8. britishblue

britishblue New Member

doitall, I'm not disagreeing with you. Are you suggesting that the ball in the valve will drop back into place if the valve is reversed, or that it is now faulty and should be replaced. I have suggested replacement (partly because they are so cheap, and I wouldn't want to do the job twice).

BB

9. doitall

doitall New Member

the ball sits in a plastic seating, and is held in by a sprung clip.

the clip has probably come loose so the ball is not tight.

pushing the clip back in should solve the problem, and could be tested with a hose before re-installing

10. Be aware that British Blue has misread the original posting.

There is no suggestion of any leakage at the moment.

Its probably a gravity system and the direction of flow will have no relevance as the pressures are so low.

Tony

11. Oops, no its me who has not read the original posting properly. Why can't we have an edit button?

If its new and its a gravity supply, as a 22 mm valve would imply, then its either faulty or not correctly lined up with the screw slot.

Tony

12. doitall

doitall New Member

I wish you would all read the question first :(

The valve is not stopping the flownot its leaking

13. doitall

doitall New Member

The ball is held on the seating with a spring clip any weight of water the wrong end will push the ball off the seating and eventually out the end of the fitting, along with the little ball.

That is what the arrow is for so you dont disconnect the wrong end, e.g. the opposite direction to the arrow