26 AMPS FOR A STANDARD TWIN 3 PIN SOCKET?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dimmy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. dimmy

dimmy Member

Just a quick question please. If a single socket can take 13 amps does this mean that a TWIN socket can take 26 amps?. I am plugging in a tv, blu ray, printer. router and house phone. All very light in ampage I know but I would still appreciate an answer please!...thanks.

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It seems the spec says only 20A but some manufactures state 26A but same manufacturer still states 13A where the socket contains filters or RCD protection. (MK). Since your allowed a double socket on a 2.5mm spur and cable is rated method 101 at 21A then I would say one should consider a double socket as a 20A outlet.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A safe load for an accessory rated 13A is..............13A.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

basically your NOT likely to be trying to pull 26 amps out of a socket RU?

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Unless there's one behind a washer and drier. That's were problems can start.

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Kettle & toaster.

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No, it absolutely doesn't. 20A is the limit. I believe a double socket outlet is tested with a slight overload of 14A on one side and 6A on the other side under BS 1363.

8. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Risteard is quoting I think from the BS 1363 which does it seems say the socket has to be able to handle 20A for a given time. However if you look at manufacturers website they can produce items which exceed the standard and MK state their standard double socket is OK for full 26A. However there special sockets be it a triple, RCD protected, or filtered are only rated at 13A. With some it's because the socket contains a fuse which makes sense but I would not think the normal person looks at a filtered socket and says to himself I must make sure I don't exceed 13A.

So although I nearly agree with Risteard it needs the "absolutely" removing as though generally true it's not always true.

9. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

This is how I test a socket [​IMG]Ok I think this one is at its limit :D

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Lots of misunderstanding on this thread.

A standard final ring circuit, wired in 2.5 mm2 T&E on a 32A or 30A breaker/fuse was designed assuming no point on the ring would be loaded beyond 20A for extended periods of time. That is where the 20A comes from, not BS1363.

Applying simple assumptions to a socket, like, a plug has a 13A fuse in it so x2 thats 26A just isn't how things work. 13A is approximately 3kW. You don't plug in 6kW just because its a double socket. Things like kettles, rated at 3kW will pull that load for 3 or 4 minutes and will not cause any problems. Plug 3kW in for 20 minutes and the socket will still handle it but the point on the ring may be getting quite warm now! Plug two kettles in at the same time the socket could probably handle it for 3 or 4 minutes. It would burn out if you pulled 6kW through it for half an hour. These situations are unlikely to be realised. If circuits were designed to carry 6kW at a point then the cable sizes would be considerably larger.

This point comes up frequently on forums 2 x 13A = 26A yes that's mathematically correct. But the situation simply does not arise. Two high load appliances plugged in to a double socket in reality don't cause issues. This situation does exist around the UK and the reason it doesn't cause issues is the diversity factor. Appliances will mostly load a circuit when heating. Washing machine motors don't load the circuit its the heating element that does. Same with dishwashers, driers etc its the heating cycle in the appliance that loads up the circuit.

Triple sockets are supplied fused at 13A. Appliances with plugs fitted are fused at 13A. But the current drawn by the appliance is unlikely to be 13A, not for any length of time.

So to answer the OP, plugging in several low current items of equipment will not achieve anywhere near 13A of load, let alone 26A.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

While that's pretty clear UP, BS1363 does clearly state a double socket must be able to carry a load of 14amp on one side and 6amp on the other for a set period of time (can't recall what). As mentioned, the likes of MK say their kit complies to BS1363 and exceeds the standard. There is a letter somewhere circulating the forums from MK which says their double sockets can happily carry 2 x 13amp loads.

Your explanation is based heavily on domestics and ring circuits. What about 30 and even 20amp radials?

I have often seen damaged sockets in B&Bs and hotels etc where they use the toasters with elements and motor driven rack. They get left on for hours, and are 3kw. Often these are plugged in in pairs on larger sites. Catering suppliers sell them because they're 2 x 13amp bits of kit with plugs on, rather than a larger 6kw version..........Naive.

Cheap double sockets do not like washing machines and tumbe driers on them, even in domestics. I have seen plenty of failed sockets due to this, always cheap tat.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. Good question, dimmy.

What is to stop the great British uneducated from plugging in a couple of 3kW heaters at full chat during a cold spell? Most of us realise that it would be a bit nuts, of course, but the unthinking would probably assume it's perfectly ok.

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Accepted, Lec but if you have a double socket and a 13A plug people can use the socket and plug anything in to it. The average person is totally ignorant of electricity beyond knowing that if they can plug something in then it must be okay to do so. They may not appreciate the dangers of plugging too much in.

A thought suddenly occurred to me. When the concept of circuit design many moons ago produced the common or garden ring circuit as we know it, 2.5 mm2 T&E on 32A disconnection device, there were possibly reasonable grounds for assuming that 20A would be a realistic criterion to satisfy the design. In the modern gadget and appliance filled world and kitchens with many appliances, is this circuit design realistic any longer? Should we be looking at higher capacity circuits and higher capacity accessories? Would a 16A socket or even a 20A socket be more realistic (especially for double socket plates)? Should we even be using double sockets in modern living? Perhaps single sockets would be more appropriate to limit overload opprtunity? Perhaps uprated to 16A or more? Has the lowly 2.4 mm2 ring circuit reached its useful life? So many questions. :)

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

And another thought...:)

A ring circuit is more prone to overload because of the 32A rating and the 20A design limit. Radial circuits are rated at 32A with a 4 mm2 T&E or 20A or 16A with a 2.5 mm2 T&E. So the cable sizes are more realistic and capable of carrying loads up to the max. The risk of overloading a radial circuit is reduced. This does not preclude the opportunity to exceed the rating of the accessory though.

15. Quite possibly, if we examine current and future leccy usage, we could find the exact opposite happening?

Apart from kitchens with their ovens and sh*, most other sockets in the house are using lower-powered devices than a decade ago. Yes, a lot more of them, but fuel bills and energy conservation have become such biggies that even having twice as many electronic goods running in the home will still be consuming less power than a single CRT tele from a decade ago.

There's even fewer and fewer 'proper' PCs being used these days with their 300W PSUs. Now it's more likely to be a Tablet running off chust a few W.

So I say we start wiring our ring mains in 1.0mm T&E... :rolleyes:

And fit 50 sockets in each room :oops:

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well in the spirit of that then yes. Kitchens should have a higher capacity circuit so 32A is justified. Elsewhere then 16A radials should be plenty.

17. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

As far as Joe Public is concerned you could not possibly have a worse design concept. How many people in the UK apart from electricians and users of this forum know that you should not try to get 26 amps out of a double 13 amp socket? You could probably count them on one hand!. If an outlet only has a capacity of 20 amps then it should have an inbuilt ( untamperable) fuse of 20 amps or less. End of.

How many house fires are caused by overloaded sockets compared with badly fitted plastic consumer units?

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I do agree with you there Paul, if I had absolutely no electrical knowledge I think I would see nothing wrong with plugging two 3kW loads into a double socket outlet!

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is this not good then.

pd374928.jpg

:(:(:(:p

flateric and PaulBlackpool like this.
  20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is that your house then Phil ? :eek:

I guess most householders understanding of electrics is that if you flick the switch and the appliance turns on, then all is fine and dandy - even the above picture of phil's gaff !!

I bet u pro guys must see stuff on a daily basis that makes you laugh / cry / swear / wanna give up