29.02.2016 - leap year - should this day be a bank holiday?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Emanuel, Feb 29, 2016.

?

29th February - should it be a bank holiday?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

It must be difficult going through such hell. ;)

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

It's only not paid for if your salaried over the whole year, if your paid hourly or weekly you would get paid for the extra day. :mad:

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The people down the local Indian get a day off in lieu!

:eek::eek::eek:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you seen the state of their lieu! :eek:

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes. The FIFA ex-president used to go there.

Sepp Splatter.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

Just to announce the results of the vote: The screwfix community says NO to having another bank holiday (I realise that this generalisation is quite over the top, but those were the votes and we can't dispute them, can we?):D

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

It's only not paid for if your job is salaried. If your paid a daily or weekly wage, then you are getting paid for working on the 29th of February when a leap year comes around. Anyway, if we need another bank holiday then perhaps St Georges Day, should be a bank holiday in England, St David's Day, should be a bank holiday in Wales and St Andrew's Day , should be a bank holiday in Scotland.. The EU could possibly make 25 March a bank holiday ??

8. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

25 March? is that your birthday and you want a national (well, European) celebration? ;)

9. joinerjohn1

What !!!!! No , you'll have to google the significance of the 25th March to the EU (which hopefully we'll not be part of much longer) ;);)

10. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

11. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

I am afraid that we are going to be affected by this in ways that we don't understand at the moment. But who knows?! We'll see the results if it happens.

12. joinerjohn1

13. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Why would you not get paid for it. We need a harvest festival bank holiday at the end of October.

14. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

Sorry for the late reply, madhatter. Speaking about holidays. I was in one, but it was a paid one this time. :)
    You are not getting paid for if you have a fixed salary. If you are being paid per hour/day, you are getting paid for working on this day.
    In my opinion, holidays and bank holidays are extremely important not only for relaxation, but for increasing productivity in the work place as well.
    There were a lot of studies made on this topic and the ones that I have read about, all had the same results: holidays improve productivity.
    This is an interesting one: http://www.hrzone.com/perform/people/holidays-improve-productivity, especially the last paragraph:
    When compared to other countries in the European Union, the UK has the lowest amount of statutory holidays with just 20 days a year, eleven days less than average. The UK also has the highest statutory working hours a week, 48 hours compared to France's 35. However, GDP per capita is still lower in the UK than in other EU countries with larger holiday entitlement.

15. joinerjohn1

I've been "on holiday" Don't think I've ever been "in holiday" :p:p:p

16. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

There goes my pride.:oops:

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've got a holiday at the end of the month from my job.

It's a full time holiday...:oops:

18. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

You'll get something better, don't worry.
    Well... worry, but only as much as to motivate you to find something better. ;)

19. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Well yes, but that's no reason not to have them. I'd have one end of Feb, one end of September and one end of October. Maybe we should have a Christmas shopping day end of november

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select