2kw Convector heaters

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Shockker, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Shockker

Shockker Member

Hi all, a little help / advice please.

I have been asked to install eight 2kw heaters in offices at a local business. one for each room / office
    - what advice would you guys give in terms of best way to wire from 3phase DB - have a few ideas but was seeing if their might be a better way than what i have in mind - or was thinking due to high demand of 8 heaters i should advise to think of alternative options.

DB approx 15M from offices -Any help appreciated

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I'd have thought separate 16 amp radials split across the phases?

3. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Agree with Sen :)

4. Shockker

Shockker Member

Thanks for replies was thinking the same or 4mm radials (2 heaters on each) Cheers

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that would work, just depends on the layout really, positioning of rooms etc. If they adjoin sort of end to end it would be easy but if (as would likely be the case if it was one of my jobs!) the supply is central and the rooms are all in different directions it's a bit different.

6. Shockker

Shockker Member

Most are central but one is off in a different direction so will probably do do a mix of the two thanks for help tho - appreciated

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Two heaters on one 20amp radial would be fine. 2.5mm is likely fine, depending on install method.

Prob best to do three circuits with two heaters, one on each phase, and then two circuits with one heater each, and put these on any two phases of your educated choice.

If cable runs were not huge, I would likely bring all the cables back to the DB rather than looping, two cables to one MCB being fine.

You should of course check the install can take an additional 6kW per phase. Looking at current loads, or checking the meter for MD(if it supports it). We have an energy logger we place on site for a week or so to measure loadings on sites before committing to new circuits.