2nd fix nailer recommendations

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by CGN, Aug 2, 2015.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Could do with the above as usually have access to Paslode, but logistics dictating a purchase. Paslode, Hitachi, dewalt 18v etc...thoughts? Don't really want to be lugging a compressor about...although I do own a portable one, just think of keeping it simple.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

We are so behind with compressed air tools here, compared to the other side of the pond, virtually every builder there has & uses around a 20cfm compressor & a selection of 1st & 2nd fix nailers.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Kiab...my tool guru :) So what you're saying is, that the comp/air tool may be the way forward? Certainly cheaper than a gas nailer. Any preferences...bostitch etc?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Air nailers have changed a lot since I used them many years ago, only disadvantge is a trailing hose, but to me this is offset by cost of gas, SF sells a twin fuel cell pack £27, so about 2,000 nails for two cells, soon add up the cost.

Had a quick look around for example The DeWalt DPN1850-X is lighter than a gas nailer, & there is DeWalt DPN1564A-XJ which will drive 32-64mm nails.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dpn1850-x-55mm-air-brad-nailer/7588f?_requestid=261209

http://service.dewalt.co.uk/Products/Catalog.aspx?CatalogID=603

The Dewalt 18v nailers like the DC618KB get good reviews as well, difficult decision, but the cost of them you could buy two air nailers, need to look at the pro & cons of each before deciding.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Estwing. It even works without air, gas or electricity.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thank you Kiab...appreciate your time and experience. I suppose that there may be a bit of hesitation towards air nailers, mainly due to the fact that I generally encounter people using gas nailers such as Paslode etc. Hitachi seem a bit more fairly priced, but as you say, cost of gas etc add up...hence moving towards 'electric' nailers like dewalt. At present, I probably could do with a nail gun for 1 to 2 days per month, so not constant use...more infrequent.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ha ha. Yes, especially when it comes with 'a third hand' :)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot of expense for a battery or air nailer for something that will probably only get used 1 month out of 12.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Possibly...but justified over a couple of years and also makes the job more pleasant. When I said a day, this is spread over a month...that can be a lot of nails to put in by hand without sounding like I'm wimping out! :)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valid point, certianly makes the job quicker & neater.:rolleyes:

CGN likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One of those things. Always the simple pleasure of knocking in a nail by hand or cutting wood with a nice sharp hand saw...just times when you've got a million and one things to do...only 2 hands and a phone that doesn't stop ringing! :)