3/4 socket former

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Plumberbish, May 10, 2015.

1. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

where can I buy a 3/4 socket former? I've had a look online and in a couple of my regular merchants but to no avail...I never seem to have old to new couplings when I need them, it'd be a lot easier to have a 3/4 former to increase my 22copper to the size of a 3/4 socket then have to go all the way to a shop and back...especially if it's after they've all shut!

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

no such thing - 3/4" is smaller than 22mm.
    Just carry a stock of 3/4" to 22mm couplings and 1" to 28mm and 22mm slip fittings...................

3. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Years ago you could get a compression block that would compress 22mm down to 3/4. Can't remember what they were called, Tomplum will probably know.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Never seen one of those, seen 3/4" expanders, but the conversion sockets have been about for years, only cost pennies more than ordinary sockets so never bothered to get one. Would have their uses in tight spots though.

5. plumber-boy

Your right GIF the fittings are cheap and the 3/4 olives..

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

No I've never heard of them either PB, I use a 22mm comp fitting and tighten it up, no need for 3/4 olives just tighten it up till it surrenders, use a bit of paste too,

7. plumber-boy

Here's one of them tools..

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

good find PB, he must have got that off Noah, :D:D

9. plumber-boy

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3/4" pipe is about 1.4mm less than 22mm.

You can still get multi head pipe swagging tools, got a few old ones here 3/4" to 22mm, & several other imperial sizes to metric.
    Also got a lever tubing expander, made by 'Rast' does same job as above, but no need to hammer, pick up in a car boot sale for a £10.

They are identical to this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTI-HEA...054?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9999a86e

11. Plumberbish

That's what I'm after GIF -an old 3/4 expander (like the 22mm one id use to expand 22 to the size of a coupling)...but 3/4pipe to a 3/4 coupling... BUT I want to use the 3/4expander in the 22pipe to make the 22mm the same as an 3/4 fitting

12. Plumberbish

Nice one KIAB, that's the sorta thing I'm after...but those ones don't go up to 3/4 :(

13. Plumberbish

14. Plumberbish

That's the thing I'm after...thanks everyone for helping...I'd never have known it was called a swage punch! I was told they were called mandrills or socket formers

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Like a lot of things, they are known by several names.

I didn't make that very clear, I meant to say they were identical as in design to the listing, but of course will be larger.
    The ones I have are made by Rigid I think, got them in a car boot or garage sale 30 years ago.

Should be able to get a local engineer's shop to turn you one on the lathe from a bit of steel, & have it stepped for 3/4" to 22mm for a few quid.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  16. plumber-boy

Rigid are good quality tools.;)

17. Plumberbish

No worries I found one...but thinking about it, my missus' dad likes making things on his lathe...I wonder if he could make me one... Bonding with the in-laws lol

18. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I remember calling them drifts back in the early seventies. Certain water authorities banned their use. I don't know what the regs state today about or their use on water or gas because they seem to have been forgotten about these days.

19. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Use metric to imperials? Is that what you mean? They are still on the shelfs most places?

20. Plumberbish

It's cool I found one now :) it's to make 22 the same size as a 3/4 socket... Don't fancy trying to hammer my 22 one into an old bit of 3/4 lol