3 gang 2 way light switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TMEUK, Aug 29, 2014.

1. TMEUK

TMEUK New Member

Hi All.

I did do a search for this and could not find a thread so sorry if it is a repeat question.

At the bottom of my stairs I have a 3 gang light switch. The right switch controls the landing light (also has a switch at the top of the stairs). The middle controls the nearest living room light (no other switch) and the left button controls the far away living room light (has another switch at the other end of the room).

I want to replace the 3 gang switch and this is where my problem is. I took the old one off and followed the wiring, which resulted in only the far end living room light working!

In the box I have 3 sets of wires. 1 has just 2 wires a black and a red along with the earth and the other 2 have a red, yellow and blue along with the earth.

On the current switch the top has ports labelled at the top com, L2, L1, Com. The bottom has L2, L1, com, L2, L1.

The new switch has across the top L11, L1, L21, L2, L31 and the bottom L12, L22, L3, L32.

So if I turn the new switch upside down it matches in terms of numbers of terminals.

If it helps, some of the wires have brown sheaths on!

Have I bought the wrong switch or am I just wiring it wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. TMEUK

TMEUK New Member

I have tried to replicate what I currently have. Wires.jpg

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Another very long thread coming up chaps!

FatHands and TMEUK like this.
  4. TMEUK

TMEUK New Member

Thanks for your help!

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Playful banter, as we do!, give the regulars a chance matey please.
    We'll do our best to assist.

FatHands likes this.
  6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Could be worse Sen, could be four gang!, lol ;)

7. TMEUK

TMEUK New Member

I took it as banter lol, hence I liked the post, must get amazingly boring for you guy's having us DIY'ers asking the same old, same old........

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It keeps us in tip top condition, lol, I'm assuming on your new switches you have L1 on one side and L2, L3 on the other, if so anything that went to a com goes to L1 on that switch and the L1 and L2's go to the new L2 and L3's-makes no real difference on them because it's two way, switch could be on when up or down tbh.