3 Lights on One Switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mackie, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hello all.

I just want to run something past you all to see if this is safe.

My new house has 3 external lights, 1 500w Flood, 1 x 150w Flood and 1 x Bulkhead (which I need to replace).  A;ll three of these run to one switch and I was wondering if this is the correct way of wiring them.  Sorry I do not know the name of the circuit but a simple diagram of the junction box is as follows:
    [​IMG]

As above apart from one internal light with it's own switch then back to the Consumer box on there own MCB, (lights up and down are two seperate MCB's).   I cannot get into the bulkhead to see the bulb wattage but the max this must be is 100W so all three lights would be a maximum of 850W.

By the way, the lights have never actually worked as I have to change the switch as well as it is split, I moved in and turned off the MCB to save any accidents.  This was the main reason I checked the curcuit

My question again, is the wiring I show above OK or should I think about replacing it??

Thanks all

2. Hubert Cumberdale

Hubert Cumberdale New Member

It's fine. So long as the junction box is reasonably accessable, nothing to worry about. Though, the black wire in the switch should have a red sleeve as both conductors are a 'live' phase.

3. dickllewellyn

dickllewellyn Member

You show an earth from consumer unit to junction box, but no others? Is tat the case, or we're they omitted for clarity? Otherwise fine for load and switching.

4. mackie

mackie Member

Hi both,  There is an earth to the floods as they are metal but not to the bulkhead as this is only plastic.  I also opened the switch and there is a sleeve on the black to signify the live, but if I do this I will most probably replace the wire from switch to junction box as it is only in surface mount conduit into the ceiling void (of course this will be with Brown / Blue wire and the blue will be sleeved.

My biggest concern was the total wattage on the switch, if you say this is okay then great.  Anyway she had one of her brainwave moments and 'we' could seperate the lights as one does not need to be on when the others are.

5. dickllewellyn

dickllewellyn Member

The switch should be rated at least 6 amps, probably 10.
    At 230 volts, 850 watts is 3.7 amps where current in Amps = power in watts [p] / voltage [v]

6. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Lets all sing together : -

''3 x lights on one switch''--------------''3 x lights on one switch''.................''3 x lights on one switchhhhhhh'' -  and so say all of us.

7. J.P.

J.P. New Member

8. Hubert Cumberdale

JP, everything alright?

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Lol - yeh just doing stuff in me loft Hubert..nearly ready for first stage plastering and stuff--

10. Hubert Cumberdale

11. mackie

mackie Member

JP, can you whistle??  Cos your singing is rubbish ;):)

12. mackie

mackie Member

I'm going to split the lights anyway, 500W and Bulk head on one switch and the 150w on another.  150 cover just where the bins are so will only be used once / twice a week during winter months.

13. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Funny the missus sais the same thing also Mack.. anyway glad you've got the info you was asking for -  it looks like all systems go for you now.

14. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

''3 x lights on one switch''--------------''3 x lights on one switch''.................''3 x lights on one switchhhhhhh'' -  and so say all of us.    :)

15. J.P.

J.P. New Member

16. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Id use a triple Mack (not goating about) 2 for operating the floods, and one for operating the bulkhead by the bin -

Also I would think seriously about PIR floods - be it inbuilt or remote PIR.

Probably only waffle, but there you go.

17. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I think youv'e had a few triple Macks JP, by the sound of yer

18. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Just R Whites lemonade LD..:)

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Not even a splash of Bells 8 yr old innit

20. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member