30mm or 40mm waste pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PBC, Sep 27, 2014.

1. PBC

PBC New Member

I have been struggling sorting a tangled badly arranged set of soil and waste pipes in a roof side loft cavity which has been difficult access and hard work. One thing I failed to spot was that I intend to fit a shower cubicle where there previously wasn't one. The existing waste pipe to the sink is 32mm and I fear the shower will need a 40 mm - which to connect in the side loft area will mean dismantling a lot of the good work already done. Question is , do I need to fit the 40mm or will the 32mm do. It is very unlikely that the shower and sink will ever be used at the same time. Thanks in anticipation

2. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

correct way is to run seperate pipes, 40mm (max 3m) to shower tray. Its up to you if you want to chance connecting them togther on 32mm or not. Will one pull the others trap? will the pipe block up easy? let us know. :)

3. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

PBC, 32mm is for the basin, you really need to connect 40mm for the shower, you will probably end up standing in water if you use the 32mm pipe and probably worse if you have a powerful shower...

B J

4. PBC

PBC New Member

Thanks very much , I'll bite the bullet as they say and head back into the loft again :(

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You know it makes sense ;), saves all the possible problems later.