32mm Waste Pipe and Compression Fittings

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Munsy1000, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Munsy1000

Munsy1000 New Member

Previously used 40mm waste pipe and compression fittings with no problem - everything gets tight

However today I bought and fitted 32mm waste pipe and 32mm compression fittings (to replace the bathroom sink piping with new sink also) and during tightening "it just didn't feel tight". When the pipe went into the 32mm right angle bend - it "rattled about" and only tightened at the final quarter turn

I got the pipe and fittings from B&Q - could the pipe be for weld fittings only ?
    Need to know before I box in the pipework !!!

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

no, compression is ac/dc ( it goes ietherway) both solvent and pushfit, ;)

3. Munsy1000

Munsy1000 New Member

ok thanks tom.plumb
    guess the bigger 40mm fitting just give you more of a "feel of tightness" due to the thread size

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Might be worth checking but on the fitting, are both the nylon washers in place, in front of the rubber seals
    These help to compress the seal as you tighten them up

Always see loads of these blue and red washers laying loose on the shelves amongst the fittings

Just a thought

5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

The white push fit pipe is a bit smaller. If you have that it would explain it. Maybe a few wraps of PTFE and some silicone.