34 year old tree surgeon looking to move into carpentry

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Dan Clifton, May 3, 2017.

1. Dan Clifton

Dan Clifton New Member

Hi all,

As above. I've been working with trees for 8 years or so and while I enjoy the work I can see I'm not going to get a lifelong career out of it. I'm not interested in setting up alone, I'm more of a grafter than someone that steers the ship, put in my hours you know. With that in mind I want to try something new, I work hard and love learning new skills but don't have the money to study and was wondering if it was possible to learn on the job? If so, what is the best way to go about it? I'm based in Bristol, have my own transport and dead keen to try it out.

Thanks for any advice you may have. Dan

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You're gonna need a more refined tool kit. :D:D:D:D

3. Dan Clifton

Dan Clifton New Member

Yeah right, not a great finish with chainsaws.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could always try chainsaw sculpturing :D

Have a look at some videos on yb.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It cuts both ways (no pun intended) - I've seen no end of weekend tree surgeons (home owners) pruning tree limbs with panel saws.

You'll enjoy carpentry but it won't be as well paid as your current job - for a while at least. Tree climbing is a young person's game though.

7. Dan Clifton

Dan Clifton New Member

I'm happy to start on a low wage if it means building up to something in the long run. As it stands I've pretty much hit the upper limit of what I can earn as a tree surgeon and it's not great. I have no idea where people get the idea that all tree surgeons are raking it in!

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

How about doing roundwood timber framing. Quite a niche market and you have all the gear. Helped out on a project near me doing it a while ago completely different ways of doing things

upload_2017-5-3_22-51-57.png

9. Dan Clifton

Dan Clifton New Member

Oh yeah, that's the guy who did a Grand Designs years back. Not a bad shout, will have a look at this as well as carpentry.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That's right Ben Law was the guy that lived as bodger on his own land made his own cruck framed house. These are a couple of roofs I worked on. All the poles are cut with chainsaw and pegged to the frame or have mortise and tenon joints. There is a lot of rope work involved in winching them in place and securing them while they are secured. Quite interesting work especially working with some significant timber, the cladding boards in the bottom were 50mm thick planks of Larch and were absolutely beautiful to work with.

upload_2017-5-4_11-38-10.png

upload_2017-5-4_11-39-9.png