4 coats of Crown emulsion and it still looked ****

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Alemaspara, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Alemaspara

Alemaspara New Member

Hi all
    I'm a Screwfix discussion virgin,but i thought i'd share my recent experience with Crown paint :(

Has anyone else had problems with Crown matt emulsion?

Last week i had a job decorating a friends bedroom,using Crown,Toasted Almond matt emulsion.

The walls were in good condition,no damp etc and the walls had only been painted with the same paint 14mth ago.

After cutting in and painting the walls with a medium pile roller,which took me approx an hour,i couldn't help but notice the walls looked quite patchy,but i thought,i'll let them dry over night and all will be fine.

Ha,no chance. The following morning the walls looked absolutely ****,patchy,the cutting in along the ceiling and around the sockets etc,had dried a completely different colour to the walls.
    I proceeded to re-paint the whole room twice more withe same paint and still the walls would not dry to an all over colour.

In the end my friend asked me to use some Dulux her mother had left over from last year,which i agreed to do,and hey presto,first coat was all the same colour,although i did do a second coat as i was enjoying the experience so much :)

I'll never touch Crown paint again while i have breath in my body.

Alan

2. proby

proby Active Member

Had the Same happen last year crown breath easy five coats and it was just passable . Total rubbish sorry to say even B&Q paint is better.

3. apl

apl Member

retail paints are sometimes not up to the job in hand. Trade paints are the generally the best available. Screwfix have a good selection.

4. There's something about the gloopiness of the paint - it must dry with a texture so that it reflects the light in a different way whether it's brushed or rollered. I think I recall something similar when using Crown a few years ago - looking at the wall at a less-than-straight-on position, it was quite noticeable.

5. Alemaspara

Alemaspara New Member

Thanks all for your comments.

Over the years as a serious DIY'er i've used all sorts of paints,i've even mixed colours together etc,etc and never had such a **** finish to a wall.
    I've previously used Wilko,Wickes, trade paints etc and always got a reasonable finish but the Crown was absolutely useless.
    Whether it was just that colour or not i don't know,but it has certainly left me with a bad impression of what is supposed to be very good paint.

As they say,you learn something new every day,
    No more Crown paint for me,anyone want some cheap paint LOL :)

Thanks
    Spitaldiyer

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

My son has used |Crown matt emulsion throughout his recently refurbished house.  When I was cleaning a small area with a damp cloth the paint came off with it!  I've never had that beofre over years of DIY.

So, it seems Crown is poor quality?

steve

7. Wellwright

Wellwright New Member

I have suffered exactly the same problem as Alemaspara and, uncannily, an almost identical experience.

I needed a large amount of white to "kill" maroon walls. I purchased Crown brilliant white emulsion, being a respected brand and much cheaper than Dulux. What a serious mistake! Unfortunately I only found this forum when looking to see if I am "on my own". I'm not!

I am not a novice, having 50+ years experience of DIY decorating. Like Alemaspara, I too found that around the junction of the ceiling with the fr, where the original emulsion colour was parchment, the brush finish ended a different colour (a shade of grey) compared with the roller finish.

The maroon walls (below picture rail level) ended up with a sort of "hammertone" effect even after a second coat - the Crown emulsion just would not stick, not even to itself.

Was I the problem? Was the original maroon to blame? Did the walls need sanding to give a key? No, parts had been sanded and they were also "hammertone". Was it the paint?

Like Alemaspara I happened to have to hand some Dulux "magic pink" left from a previous job and, in desperation, decided to try that.

The difference was apparent immediately I loaded my roller. The Crown had been slippery so that the roller skidded on the tray whereas the Dulux was sticky, so that the roller would rotate and load evenly.

The Dulux also coated the walls. Phew, what a relief! At least there was a solution, but now I had to start over with two coats Dulux.

Conclusion - in my opinion Crown emulsion is not fit for purpose. I am two days behind in a job with a tight deadline and not a happy bunny.

Clive

8. Chantel

Chantel New Member

I am so annoyed I had run out of white paint and b&q had a offer on the crown white emulsion so I brought it.. The paint is so runny I have more on the floor than on the walls and once I do manage to get it on the walls it's so thin I might aswell not bother I will be writing to crown and telling them exactly what I thibk

9. supertosh

supertosh Member

I refuse to use Crown matt or silk emulsion, Its has terrible coverage and always looks patchy, esp where the cutting-in meets the roller finish. Terrible stuff!

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yup another vote for avoiding Crown, wouldn't touch it with a condom covered paintbrush!;)

11. proby

proby Active Member

Would that make it a brush mates ! Don't you find it funny that (Virgin) make condoms

teabreak likes this.
  12. Tim Wylie

Tim Wylie New Member

Woeful stuff, rue the day I bought it both white and magnolia not fit for purpose. Thin pigment, watery consistency used 5 coats to get close to acceptable finish before resorting to Macpherson's. Never again. Crown used to be great paint but no longer holds true. Wouldn't even use as a wash coat. Avoid at all costs.

13. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

I am so annoyed I had run out of white paint and b&q had a offer on the crown white emulsion so I brought it.. The paint is so runny I have more on the floor than on the walls and once I do manage to get it on the walls it's so thin I might aswell not bother I will be writing to crown and telling them exactly what I thibk

I would never buy paint from B&Q, not even Dulux. It is no where near as good as from the Dulux Decorator centres. I am convinced it is weaker.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Trade is an altogether different paint from Dulux retail paints sold at B&Q, you pay for what you get;)

15. BeeIYer

BeeIYer New Member

I agree Crown is thin. I recently bought 10 litres of white Matt emulsion to cover a strong red coloured wall inherited from the previous occupants. I have 3 coats so far and the colour still shows. Worse than that it has dried to a powdery finish which can be rubbed off with the palm of my hand. I don't know if I can just put a decent paint over it or have take it all off. It isn't the wall prep since I have the same powdery finish on a newly skimmed wall I painted. Maybe it's a bad batch which is why it was on special offer. I shall be contacting Homebase and Crown for their opinion.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wash it off with warm water, if you must buy from the retail sheds use the Dulux brand emulsion. White will struggle to cover red or any strong solid colour so it is best to blind it out with a mid grey coat prior to white or even consider hanging lining paper to the wall.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  17. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

18. BeeIYer

BeeIYer New Member

Thanks for the reply. It washed off surprisingly easily, which doesn't say much for the paint. I have a dehumidifier on it overnight and will try to blind out the red tomorrow. I usually buy Dulux or even Homebase own brand which is usually good for most purposes but tomorrow I will see what trade paint my local builders merchant has or check out Screwfix which is almost next door.

19. Les phillpott

Les phillpott New Member

I thought I'd inadvertently used pva, just went grey and patchy and never did dry to a uniform finish, rubbish. Slung it in the corner and bought some dulux

20. Gibbo59

Gibbo59 New Member

Just decorated a bedroom with Crown - never again, its rubbish. I've been a DIY decorator for over 30 years and never had a problem with roller marks or chalky finish. Its awful stuff, looks clear when you apply it and dries to a very strange finish.