40 degree's C

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tom.plum, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

in the greenhouse today, that's 100 F or there abouts, the greenhouse effect is having an effect in my greenhouse, o_O

plumberboy likes this.
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You can spray the floor to keep it a bit cooler or place a tray of water in their to increase the humidity. the tomatoe plants will need feeding daily, early morning or evening to avoid scorching the leaves. Do you have a top vent? My one is automatic and opens and closed according to the temperature. If stopped my tomatoes so that there are 4 trusses on the outside ones. The plant can then concentrate its energy in ripening these and will avoid you having small toms.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Stopped mine at 5 trusses Jitender. Don't need feeding every day though, Once or twice a week is fine once the tomatoes have set, but they do need watering at least once every day. I water mine in the morning and again in the late afternoon (thirsty bluggers so they are) ;););)

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I buy mine in Asda. :)

5. joinerjohn1

Tasteless cr*p. You can't beat home grown.

Cheburashka and Phil the Paver like this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Haven't got a green house and have got a wife who doesn't even like plants in the garden because of bees etc???:rolleyes:

7. joinerjohn1

Get a greenhouse then,, Bees tend not to go in greenhouses (unless you put flowers in there) You can get outdoor varieties of tomatoes.. (put em in a growbag and watch them grow like triffids) ;););)

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

JJ's right you'll never buy the flavour of a just picked tomato from anywhere, its the same with any own grown stuff, as soon as you pck um you get the freshest,sweetest mouthwatering taste ever, well worth the 5/6 months effort,
    Bees come in my greenhouse John if i leave the door open, and i always do unless its bad weather,

9. Biochef

Biochef Member

I would like to have my back garden growing onions carrots tatties I read that if you chop off the bottom 10 mm of your onions and re plant them the things grow into an onion again pity you can't do that with your beer bottles :(

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

On the subject of greenhouses (something Fats would very much like in his garden), or perhaps maybe growing veg: what else is usually needed? I seem to recall many years ago my neighbour had one and it had a water sprayer in it and possibly a heater (although not used at the same time :))

I would like to grow herbs too, like coriander. Would this be possible?

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

fats, you can grow things even in a gutter but here's a aquaphonic garden, you just need a tank of water and circulate the water round some gravel anf you can grow owt,

FatHands likes this.
  12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you also need to keep adding a liquid fertiliser

13. Or "do a number one" as I think it's called.

14. joinerjohn1

Here's my tomatoes outside in a growbag. HPIM1798.JPG Should start turning red soon.

Jitender likes this.
  15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Mmmm, lovely John,

16. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Cherry tomatoes are my favourite.:)

17. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Fats, what "herbs"are you thinking of growing. The ones that I believe are grown using aquaponics are illegal & the boys in blue will kick you greenhouse door in ! :rolleyes:

FatHands likes this.
  18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I got mine free in the paper. Had to dismantle i though - There were a few panes of glass to replace as well.

FatHands likes this.
  19. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

here plumberboy have one of my cherry toms
    [​IMG]