400kw Biomass Project

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ryluer, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You want to know the saddest part about this installation?
    The farm was previously a dairy farm and low milk prices forced the farmer to pack it in and get a job. The farm buildings are basically falling down.
    Thanks again to the eu.

In fact my job is modifying the old buildings into a drying facility of sorts.

Farm gate milk prices are now below production cost. And yet people will pay more for bottled water in their local supermarket.
    A dairy farmer is the lowest paid worker in the UK. Minimum wage?
    Are you joking?
    It doesn't even apply.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yer wrong there mate. The EU want's equality. They want the UK to have equal numbers of these illegals. (that's why their stockpiling them in Calais)

Anyway, them boilers you linked to earlier, why don't ya order a few from Poland and save money? Even with the delivery costs, you'll be quids in. ;);)

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I'm not in the boiler business mate. I'm a builder.
    I was just giving you an example of how people here are fleeced.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  4. Frank W

Frank W New Member

Commercial, it's in the site Main Boiler House. Boiler No 1 of 4 Boilers supplying a HTHW District Heating Main across the site (150 degrees C @ 10 bar) with Calorifiers to reduce temp/pressure for use in the Bldgs.

TBH the main issue is the fuel, fuel storage point and the feed system. The boiler it'self is just a big kettle with the appropriate protection devices for the temperature and pressure it's being operated at.

Still, they do get the renewable heat premium payments that are funded by the taxpayer, who oddly enough as it's a Govt owned site also own the site.

5. Frank W

Frank W New Member

No, got another HTHW Boiler on another site that was made in Poland (about 6 years old) that has just had some considerable repairs carried out on the front plate where the OEM failed to fully weld it up on the inside. It was picked up during the Non-Destructive Testing carried out as part of it's annual Competent Person Inspection

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The four big boilers going into this project are german built afaik.
    Each one has 8 drive shafts running from front to back to clear ash. Each shaft is linked via 150mm dia cog wheels and an electric motor via a reduction gearbox turns them.

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Is this a woodchip boiler with the chips augered in?