400w metal halide v led?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JONNY ELDER, Jul 29, 2016.

?

will a 100w warm white led be enough to replace a light box with 400w metal halide in it?

Poll closed Aug 12, 2016.
  1. yes or no

100.0%
  2. reasons

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JONNY ELDER

JONNY ELDER New Member

will a 100w warm white led lamp be similiar in power and colour to a 400w metal halide?

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Possibly not ... Look at the efficiency of MH compared to LEDs in Lumens per Watt. I believe they are a lot closer than 4:1

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Personally I dont think LED has the throw of other types of lights, a metal halide will light something up 100 foot away.

fire likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot depend on the quailty of the led's use & the way the fitting is design to get the best output.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

More so the reflector and optics.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    JONNY ELDER likes this.
  7. JONNY ELDER

JONNY ELDER New Member

I have 6 400wMH up lighting a large tall church hall now an office, installed about 12 years ago and internal wires, casings etc all pretty brittle and disintegrating. May try stripping out gubbings in light box and fitting led unit inside but wasn't sure if 100w led would be enough. Lumens count similar but dont know if luminosity will fill the hall the same.

8. nffc

nffc Active Member

No. To get anywhere near a 400w MH you will be looking at a 240w LED floodlight at least.

9. peter palmer

LED lighting is strange for me. I have one of those rechargable site lights, bright as the sun if you shine it on something close up or look at it but go in a loft with it to do a JB and unless its pointing directly at the JB I cant see a thing, the shadows are horrendous. Go up with a 500W halogen and it would illuminate the whole loft.

KIAB and tina lucinda lane like this.
  10. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

maybe in warm white but with cool white skys the limit

KIAB likes this.
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cool white leds = fridge - test street in my area used cool white led lanterns on the lamp posts. Turning off the son lit main drag into the test street was like driving into a fridge. Horrible blue tinged cold light.

12. peter palmer

I know what you mean, a lot of lamp posts near me have had cool white LED heads installed, it feels about 10 degrees colder when you turn into one of those roads, I'll bet the heating bills for the houses on those roads are higher than others. Cant imagine what its like when there is snow on the ground.

It reminds me of this bit of a ride in Disney called Test Track @ 2:11

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Depends on the Cool White classing,some define 4000k as cool white, while others go as high as 6000k, go too high & you get the blue tinge effect.:(
    And again it's all down to the quailty of the led's used.

upload_2016-7-30_8-38-50.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    tina lucinda lane likes this.
  14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Pete and Kiab.

15. nffc

nffc Active Member

No, a 100w LED in cool white will not meet a 400w MH. A MH is a white light so why would I bring warm white into the thread?

16. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i know from personal findings that leds can surpass more than the figures state they should (as what the figures state should be dim can in use be suprising and bright) so just because the figures state it cant compare doesnt mean it wont in use)

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm always amazed how much led lighting has improved in the led's,their lifespan & optics in just the last 5 years,& I wonder what advances we will see in another 5 years.
    The other week I was was in a electrical wholesaler & got talking to a spark,(being nosey) he had collected some high bay led Philips GentleSpace gen2 fittings not into industrial electrics myself, but I was impressed with the fittings,they were even dimmable
    & spark quoted a insane lifespan of up to 100,000 hours, which at time I thought was a made up figure, but looking at the spec sheet later, he was right,:oops: & Philips even offers various beam angle options for the fittings.:eek:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/lfb/f/fp-910925863180/fp-910925863180_pgl_en_aa_001.pdf

18. nffc

nffc Active Member

They maybe designed to meet those figures but I have seen some fail within weeks. Note they always say 'upto'.

Speaking of technological advances. Our wholesaler is now selling LED 'CFL' down lights cheaper that the traditional CFL ones.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing is 100% perfect, your alway going to get some failures.

Doesn't surprise me LED 'CFL' down lights are cheaper that the traditional CFL ones.