40mm waste pipe - solvent weld or push fit?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Possom, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Possom

Possom Member

With regards to 40 mm waste pipe, I noticed there are two different varieties available. These are the solvent weld waste pipe, and the push fit waste pipe (links below). If using these in a bathroom, is it generally preferable to use the push fit, since it is quicker, no solvent is required to be purchased, and the piping is cheaper?

Or is there any particular benefit to the solvent weld pipe? Thanks.

FLOPLAST SOLVENT WELD WASTE PIPE WHITE
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-solvent-weld-waste-pipe-white-40mm-x-3m/44310

FloPlast PUSH FIT PIPE 40MM X 3M WHITE
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/push-fit-pipe-40mm-x-3m-white/65426

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

My rule is solvent weld under floors, as well as in sight - it looks neater. Push fit can be taken apart - whereas solvent weld is a permanent joint.

If you choose solvent weld remember - glue is cheap, leaks are expensive. Lap it on!

KIAB and Possom like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Solvent every time above & below.

Joe95 and Possom like this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Call me a cowboy ... I did the underfloor joints of my cloakroom with solvent weld and it was fine. As we needed it in use and no time to tile or install the furniture, I fitted the basin waste and AAV using solvent weld pipe too. However, knowing I was going to have to take it apart, I did not use solvent on the joints, I just held them together with insulating tape - the intention being just a few weeks. It turned into a lot longer - measurable in years before I actually had time to finish it off. The tape was still stuck well, no leaks during that time either. Then when I installed everything else, welded the pipes together and all is fine.

Solvent weld always looks neater and even if you do have to cut to open it up, a new join blends in.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bad as me I used self amalgamating tape around a 40mm joiner at my last place,as a temp job,over time I forgot about it, when I moved 10 years later, it was still wrapped around pipe & no leaks.:oops:

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Push fit pipe may be cheaper but the fittings aren't

SF sell solvent weld fittings in bags of 5, sometimes handy, just depends on how much plumbing you've got to do, but works out cheaper than push fits

As with all work, careful but simple prep is required. Cut pipe ends square (I use a mitre block for this and fine tooth saw). Remove burrs with either a knife blade or sandpaper

Measure depth of insertion on pipe and mark with pencil. Nice amount of solvent on both pipe and fitting. Immediately push together and give a little twist back and forth to get good glue contact (don't know if essential but this is what I do) don't move pipe for around ten mins

If you need an exact position for say a bend on the pipe, fit bend dry, get into position then mark both bend and pipe with pencil. Then glue and line up

Correctly prepared solvent weld will never leak - simples :)

(TS sell fittings also as singles, again handy for one off jobs)

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I keep a stock of push fit bits for temporary waste.

You'll remember my toilet thread - I used push fit on the basin as I knew it would change during the extension. I've also decided I'm going to rip off the wallpaper and plaster the toilet, it's currently where the washing machine is.

I'm actually doing the waste and dryer vent for my new kitchen today, already done three 2" cores and one 4" core. All with the trusty sds. Howdens delivering the kitchen Monday and I haven't finished the floor yet!:eek:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Keeping a few Mcalpine multi fit fittings 45 & 90 degree & straight connector 32mm,40mm,even 50mm in stock is very handy,& can get you out of the mire, especially if you meet the old 40mm copper pipe.

9. Possom

Possom Member

10. Piece of pipe into trap and swept elbow or preferably tee with rodding eye.

11. Possom

Possom Member

12. Yes,but in solvent weld not push fit or universal compression.
    Do not like push fit.

Possom and KIAB like this.
  13. Possom

Possom Member

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Possom likes this.
  15. With one of these.
    [​IMG]

Possom likes this.
  16. Possom

Possom Member

Is that the rodding eye which you referred to?

Is this product on the ScrewFix website?

17. Possom

Possom Member

Is that part required if the trap already has an access port built in (as per picture below)?

[​IMG]

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, but if pipe work is a long run & has a few bends then, I will fit a tee with rodding eye in the run, just to be on the safe side.:)
    If pipe exits through a wall to a hopper/stack/gully from a kitchen sink/bath,etc then I will use a tee with rodding eye.
    Might never need to use it, but sometimes it can save a lot of grief.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Possom likes this.
  19. Tony Conrad

Tony Conrad New Member

That's what I think. Joints with rubber can perish eventually. Solvent weld is permanent. Job done.