45mm joist in 50mm hanger?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by code128, Oct 12, 2014.

1. code128

code128 New Member

I am replacing my garage roof and adding additional joists to support the deck above.
    The joists I have are 45 x 145mm. I have some face fix 50 x 145mm joist hangers.
    There is a 5mm difference in width of the joist and joist hanger. Will this be OK or should I find an alternative?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Should be fine, when you screw in to the joist from the side the hanger will bend into the joist, taking up the tiny 2.5mm gap either side.

3. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

They will be fine but what I don't quite get is why don't use just find the correct size in first place? Why make the job harder?

You can squash the hangers in taking care when screwing so that the joist not twist or put some shims in sides.

4. alecw255

alecw255 New Member

Any chance of resurrecting this old post? I've been pondering the same question which is made all the more harder when Simpson Strong tie produce hangers that are 44mm or 47mm wide. What's best for a 45mm section timber?

My gut says get a 47mm wide hanger which will hopefully pinch in enough once nailed in to both faves of the joist.

Would love to hear others thoughts or experience.