4x2 to concrete fence posts help ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by anthonyj238, Apr 29, 2015.

1. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

I am after some guidance please.
    I currently have several concrete fence posts but due to a large tree (which has been removed below ground level ) the posts have moved. They have moved and some concrete panels have become lose. the gap at the bottom is enough for a 6ft wide base panel but as you go higher that gap increases to about 6ft 2". I have removed all lose panels and got rid of them. I have spare lengths of 4x2 treated timber which I was going to fix 3 long batons across each fence posts top, middle and bottom....which even though the gap has increased they are still reasonably straight. My question is Do i need special bolts or simply plugs and screws ? if so is there a video or simple method to fix it right i can follow. I have got feather edge timber to then fix along and nail to the 4 x 2 so it will be like one long fence panel and hide the ugly concrete. neighbours wont put anything 2 and this cost me a lot 10yrs ago originally and this is cheapest way. Any help ideally video idiots guide thanks

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Sorry if the tree has been removed below ground level how does it stand up?

3. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

the tree ? it doesnt its gone. the posts are still secure in concrete

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Why not just straighten up the posts and refit panels.

5. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

thought about it but some of the panels are damaged and i priced up cost and the graft to break concrete and this seemed cheapest option as i already had timber. Also looks nicer

6. Ant, how were the original panels secured to the concrete posts?

Anyways, I wonder is something like large 'U' or 'J'-bots might be a simple answer? They'd need to be large enough to go around the posts, obviously, and then through the timber. Perhaps a bit costly...

Or, DIY... Have a look at Wickes or similar (perhaps our hosts too?) for galvanised building strips, y'know the kind of stuff you use to tie down wallplates and rafters and stuff - they come in various sizes, widths thicknesses and lengths.

3mm thick x 30mm wide and the longest lengths would do, and they have holes pre-drilled all along them.

Cut them into lengths and bend them into a 'U'-shape to suit the post size, and then bend both ends outwards until they are at right angles to the sides.

These bends should be...ohsodit - a sketch will explain :(

Attached Files:

anthonyj238 likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

8. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

They slotted in. I am off to work, i will upload a pic to show you. Thanks for advice

9. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

behind the wooden fence is nothing due to gap and them being lose. i have used 4 panels which was lose (panels on the left of the pic top 2 out of each one) as base panels on a different part of garden

11. Anthony, them posts are well drunk. Are they as bad as they appear in the photos?

If so, surely worth trying to straighten them, even a bit?

12. Phil the Paver

Hadn't realized it was a council job.

Two shovels leaning against the chair, not a sole insight. :D

anthonyj238 likes this.
  13. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

Haha just me over easter grafting. Yeah they are straight, straight enough for timber to go across and it be Level. The previous company I got to sort fence charged a fortune didn't do it properly, which I only discoverer once tree had gone. If you can see the wooden fence left of that is the biggest gap that 7ft and they bolted a post to it which isn't flush to ground. Garden has already cost a fortune but I wanted this looking right without breaking bank and timber 4x2 and feather edge seems best. But open to help if your free Saturday haha

14. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

Can't upload from my phone to show you the gap keeps Saying error.

15. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

Tree stump has since gone but this shows what i was referring to.

Attached Files:

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you throw 3 buckets of water at the base of the posts, next day you'll be able to straighten them quite easily!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Why 3 buckets of water?

Some kind of black magic ritual...o_O

anthonyj238 likes this.
  18. Anthony, are you planning to keep the other sections concrete as they currently are, and just clad over them in feather-edge? If so, you can buy clamps that will fit over the front of the posts and which go down the sides as far as the slots in the posts and go into that slot a small amount.

They are in two halves, bolted together at the front, and this pulls the clamp tight against the sides of the post.

However, I don't know if they are designed to be strong enough to hold up an actual fence - I think they are more for adding things like a bit of trellis, or hanging baskets, or support netting etc.

At around £3 each: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Postfix-Slotted-Concrete-Fence-Brackets/dp/B00AD8EVEU

Ok, easy solution - and don't laugh.

Wire brush the post fronts. Cut lengths of your 4x2s the same height - just under.

Fix the damn things on with a goodly bead of StixAll, all the way along its length. It will need holding in place while it sets.

If you feel you must, then SDS drill a wall plug at each end.

I'll stake my non-existent reputation that it won't move.

anthonyj238 likes this.
  19. anthonyj238

anthonyj238 New Member

That's what I need help on how to fix the timber to concrete... I have drill will be getting plugs and screws just never done it b4