50mm chased out from beam (photo) is this ok?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by billybongos3, Oct 9, 2015.

?

Would you leave this?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2015.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  3. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Get a structural engineer

20.0%
  1. billybongos3

billybongos3 New Member

Some silly sausage has notched 55mm from a 150mm / 6" beam. I am about to rip the old pipe work out

Would you leave it? Or brace it.

Please help,

Thanks gents,

Billy

Attached Files:

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Top of joist is in compression so wood that has been removed could be refitted , tight fit and glued in! Pipe work would then need to be run above and boxed in.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Billy,
    Once the pipework has been removed where will the new pipework go? I'm assuming the joist is a chamber joist and it looks as if it's on 600mm centres. If there is no further use by the plumber for that pipe route I would put a sister joist in and bolt through as a just in case and because they look as if they're on wide(ish) centres. Cover up by replacing the floorboards and move on.

I am assuming there is no detectable deflection in the groundfloor ceiling.

4. billybongos3

billybongos3 New Member

No detectable deflection in the floorboards yet, the bath is just to the right, if there was 1/2 a bath of water - 250litres / 250kg + 1 adult of 75kg, then 325kg total weight will be on those beams.

The bath is in the corner of the house, and it is about to be newly decorated downstairs as the plastered ceiling has been finished.

I was considering bolting a few sister joists through, just in case, and chasing & cementing these into the wall by about 4inches.

How long would the sister joist have to be? - 600mm / 1m / 1.7m. Would you glue and screw the joist or just bolt them together?

Thanks gents for the help,

Billy

5. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Billy,

The longer the sister joist the better. Does the plumber still require that route for his pipes? I'm assuming he does. Therefore I would sister all joists shown because that's quite a lump of wood thats been removed. You can bolt and glue with D4 foaming glue but generally I just do them dry.

The loading on the floor is quite considerable and I commend you for taking it into account and attempting to quantify it mathematically.

tore81 and FatHands like this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Definitely glue and screw (or coach bolt)

Obviously try and get as long a piece of timber in as you can. You may find it easier to wiggle in 18mm then build up several layers glued and screwed. You could put some on each side and then pack out the 50mm gap

vivaro man likes this.
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Do as much work to strengthen as possible. Rip out all pipework and then sister up as much as you can.Hard work now but you can rest easy knowing you have done a safe job.

8. billybongos3

billybongos3 New Member

Thanks for the great replies gents, I wanted to make sure it was right.

we are not laying any additional pipes under the floor

Do I still need to get a structural engineer out? what would you do?

Thanks gents

9. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

crikey, plumbers just don't seem to give a toss!

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why are you going through all the old posts and commenting on them - do you think we give a .....