50mm kerosene pipe repair

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by acraig1173, Oct 29, 2013.

1. acraig1173

acraig1173 New Member

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on how repair a torn section of a 50mm MDPE Kerosene pipe?

The kero tank is a long way from the road, inaccessible by lorry, so 50mm mdpe pipe has been buried from road to tank.

Builders have put the digger bucket through the pipe, so the people have turned to me to take a look, being as its my local church i feel obliged to do it as economically as possible.... however finding any form of 50mm or 2" kerosene safe fittings is proving a problem to me.

Whats the solution?

thanks in advance.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

dare I ask what color this ''kerosene pipe'' is ?

3. acraig1173

acraig1173 New Member

Black alkathene

4. Haven't a scooby, I'm afraid.

I'm sure you are trying companies like this ( http://www.pipekit.co.uk/shop/59_Durapipe_PLX ) after a Google?

These are the sorts of people to ask.

(I hope they'll allow a 'fitting' to be used for the repair and not insist it's welded using some weird technique...)

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's what I feared, let the builder take the responsibility to sort it, perhaps encourage them to get an OFTEC engineer out, and while he's on site ask him to inspect the oil supply, especially where the alkathene enters the building and drops down to 10mm ish to feed the boiler - and ensure there's a functional fire valve installed

I know of no black 50mm alkathene that is approved for heating oils, it's normally green and no bigger than 28mm diameter - 50mm alkathene is used almost exclusively used for potable water

6. acraig1173

acraig1173 New Member

no i havent tried http://www.pipekit.co.uk/shop/59_Durapipe_PLX i wasnt sure if there were an approved and straightforward method i was overlooking.

Naturally the builder should take responsibility,it was done some 18+ months ago, the builder just covered it back over and didnt say anything. the issue has only just come to light and the "approved" building contractor is far from interested in rectifying.

As far as the boiler is concerned everything is ok, they have to serviced by oftec engineer every year. This pipe goes from road side to top of kero tank at back of church.

looks like my options are fairly limited, thanks for the info.