63amp supply required

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by I hate sparkin, May 14, 2015.

1. I hate sparkin

I hate sparkin New Member

I am planning on putting a supply in for a new severy in a commercial kitchen. The manufacturer has asked for a 63amp supply with a total loading of 15kW.

i have used the megger cable calc tool and it says that a 10mm CSA will be fine in XLPE SWA. what i am looking for is some confirmation that this is fine if anyone can help.

Cheers!

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Is your install method going to be SWA? Is this single phase? Can it be three phase? How is the cable being installed? Is the servery one single item, or several items sat together?

3. I hate sparkin

i am planning on using SWA but have also considered using T&E. They have requested a 63amp single phase supply which will be feeding a CU on the servery feeding the individual Ccts on the servery.

4. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Have you verified that the terminals are suitable for 90 degree operation? If not, then you are using the wrong current-carrying capacity for the cable.

5. I hate sparkin

Sorry Risteard don't know what your asking! If you mean the terminals in the CU in the servers then this is being supplied by the manufacturer and as they do this for a living they should insta the right board and know what they need!

6. Lectrician

No, you have said you intend to use XLPE which has a higher operating temperature than PVC. This allows smaller sizes to be used, as the cable can run hotter, but only if the terminals either end are designed for this temperature.

Best to calculate assuming PVC.

Can't decide on a cable size until you tell us the install method. Clipped direct, in a wall, in trunk, through insulation etc.

If there is three phase available, this is crying out for a three phase supply.

What is the supply coming in? What capacity do you have? What is the maximum demand already?

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No, IHS what he was pointing out is that XLPE is rated at 90 degrees C whereas PVC is rated at 70 degrees C. Whilst the point is made there are no risks really as its never going to reach 70 degrees let alone 90!! The bottom line is current carrying capacity of the cable.

8. I hate sparkin

right ok, thanks for the responses, the cable to be used is XLPE SWA it will be clipped direct and mounted on tray for part of the run, i have plenty of cappacity on the supply as i am removing an old servery and some other equipment fomo an already under used board.

with regard three phase, i agree and that was my preference but this is what i have been given to work with.

9. Lectrician

Length of run?
    Is the board it comes from already a submain, and if so, what length of run, current rating of the protective device and size of cable?

10. I hate sparkin

11. Lectrician

10mm PVC SWA would be fine, so XLPE would also. This assumes the board it comes from doesn't already have a large volt drop.

12. I hate sparkin

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Ah, 'assumption' the Mother of all Fek ups! :rolleyes: