6mm Tile Backer Board

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by BadgersMate, Jan 16, 2015.

1. BadgersMate

BadgersMate Member

I've bought a job lot of 6mm tbb to put on floors, but I'm wondering if I can also use it in three other places:
    1. on one wall of the shower, screwed to the plywood face of a supporting stud wall
    2. around the bath (the shower is separate), over a plasterboard stud wall
    3. dot and dabbed to a thermalite wall

I was originally planning to use 12mm tbb for 1 and 2, and hard wall and skim for 3, but I'm wondering if I can use the boards left over from the floor to save a bit of time / money.

Honest opinions welcome!

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

It is meant to be 12mm only for wall use of backerboard. However you may get away with number 1 ok if the supporting studs are close enough and battoned.
    Number 2, why are you putting it over plasterboard??
    Number 3, forget it.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

6mm is still good for 50kg a sq metre I think. The sizes are mainly because 6mm is less raise on the floor and 12mm is the same as plasterboard

4. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Yep the 6mm hardibacker I use can be used on walls but is hard to achieve, wall needs to be flat (does that even exist?) and boards need to be glued and screwed. Way too much hassle.