8' or 9' concrete fence posts for 6' fence + 6" gravel boards?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by otoh, Aug 3, 2015.

1. otoh

otoh Member

Not sure if digging 45cm is enough for the posts. OTOH, similarly unsure if I want to - or can - dig 75cm!

Also, what's the best mix for these - ready made postmix? Or something else? And fill the holes with wet concrete, or dry mix and add water later? (Am clueless at outdoorsy stuff...)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your looking at 700-750mm depth I'm afraid with a 9' post.:)

How many posts you looking at, postmix is expensive,especially as you need several bags per hole. A 6-1 mix is ok with all in ballast, wet but not sloppy & well tamped.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

9' for a 6'6" fence, otherwise it may wobble loose in high winds, if its well protected from wind then 8' should be ok.

4. otoh

otoh Member

Many thanks for your reply, even if my heart sank at digging so deep!

Probably about 11 posts, I think - so worth mixing myself. Some threads suggest sand+cement but I assume ready-made ballast is stronger?

On the subject - will also invest in a digger - any thoughts as to whether the scissor-spade or auger type is better?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get your self a Drain & Post Hole Digging Spade, sometimes known as a Newcastle Drainer, it has a tapered blade, cost about £20 for decent one.

All in ballast is a mixture of sand and gravel,probably cheaper to have bulk bag delivered, than buy invidual 20-25kg bags.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better choice of Newcastle Drainer at their competitor.

7. Phil the Paver

If you going to invest in tools, a pair of spoons and a grafter is all you need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good tool a rabbiting spade, but, I could never get on with spoons.

9. rd1

rd1 Member

Definitely a heavy duty rabbiting spade with long handle but you need also shove-holers not spoons. Shove- are crossed over so that when you squeeze them together they grip and collect the soil. But not cheap so prob best to hire a good set which will save you lots of work and energy.
    good luck with the project.

Attached Files:

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Always found they didn't make the hole wide enough, and you end up digging anyway.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Alway prefer my rabbit spade &/ or my Newcastle Drainer spade, could never get on with shove-holers if the ground was stoney or clay, whereas either of above spades would make light work of it.

12. Phil the Paver

Your not supposed to dig with them, only remove the loose soil, the grafted does the digging, even breaking out old concrete if you know what your doing. :);)

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yeh sorry. I was on about hole diggers.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. rd1

rd1 Member

I would say that if your going down 750 mm it will next to impossible to dig and get the soil out with any type of spade, so the shove-holers would be absolutely essential to avoid having a large diameter hole.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, I dug two holes here,each 300mm square & 600mm deep for 75mm gate posts with a rabbit spade & Newcastle drainer spade without any difficulty.