8mm Micro-bore loop

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gswainyboy, Feb 4, 2016.

1. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Hi all. Our bungalow C H system is plumbed with 8mm microbore tubing. I am thinking of knocking the bathroom and loo into one. there is a rad in the toilet and heated towel rail in the bathroom and the pipework is buried in the wall to be removed. If i locate the feed and return pipes to both in the loft can I just cut them off (After draining system ! ) and put in loops to maintain heating circuit. Thanks for any advice.

2. I'd imagine it would be more of a case of cutting them and capping them offski, not joining them in a loop.

I presume the rad and the towel rail have their very own pipes going to them, each being supplied separately? In which case chust cut the pipes and fit end stops to them.

Better still if you can locate the 'manifold' which should have numerous 8mm pipes going from it - ID the ones gong to the rad/rail you wanna remove, and uncouple them from the manifold and fit screw-in stops there.

Have a good gander up in t'loft and tell us (photos are good...) what you find. We'll then be able to give you more precise info.

3. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Hi.thanks for the info.. I am away now until Monday but will get in loft then and have a butchers and will post back my findings. thanks again.

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You will need to find the manifold and from there trace the ones you need to remove. Cap those off.
    Having said that will you need any heating in the room after the refurb? In which case you will need to extend that circuit to the new radiator/towelrail site

5. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks for that Dave. I am going to locate the manifold on Monday then see the how to tackle the job. I will be posting back my findings. cheers again

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Can't the pipes chust be capped? That's wot I did in my sis's hoosie with 10mm microbore - capped them offski at t'ceiling... :oops:

7. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Hi. Could cap them but,as Dave pointed out, there will need to be pipes dropped to wherever I resite the towel rail so I am gonna stick with manifold capping and re-connecting for new rail. Cheers for suggestion anyway.

8. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

I assumed that the manifold would be male thread. I also assume I will have to blank off by making a small stub of pipe and connector and blanking plug as it doesnt look like I can get female blanking caps. Am I on the right track ?

9. Dave does Gas

That is the usual way yes.Most plumbers merchants have either end feed or compression caps.

10. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks again Dave for your info. Will be going down that route then. Should be posting pics on Monday/Tues.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Hi,I have now been up in the loft and taken these pics. This setup seems to be in place of a manifold but i will cap-off away from the soldered joints to avoid disturbing and causing leaks and will then connect new pipework and re-route to suit the position of the new towel rail. one more Q, when I bury the new pipework in the wall , apart from not burying any joints, are there any other do's or dont's I should follow. thanks in advance.graham

Attached Files:

12. Dave does Gas

That is your manifold albeit an older style. Just proceed as intended before.

13. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Ok Dave,Thanks for all your help and advice. Should I use any sort of sleeving on the pipe after channeling what is either breezeblock or brick wall before plastering over when I come to do it. I am sure none of the original is but this doesnt make it right.

14. You'd really want to protect the copper pipe against the strong alkaline mortar/plaster, and also allow a wee bit for expansion so's there's no risk of the plaster cracking.

And unless you want two hot lines coming down your wall which would almost certainly cause weird marks in future, then a wee bit of insulation would be awesome too.

There's bound to be slimline lagging available that'll do this. Are you going to use copper or plastic? Plastic is already much better insulated, so a few wraps of gaffa tape would prob be ok for that.

(If you do decide to go plastic & gaffa, don't 'spiral' the tape around the pipe 'cos that'll take ages. Instead cut manageable lengths of tape - say 500mm - and place it long-ways on the pipe, starting with adhering one long edge of the tape and then wrapping it around the pipe until it's all done - a bit like a roll-up ciggie... Repeat.)

15. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Ok.Thanks for that. I suspected there might be chemicals in the plaster. Thanks again.