9.5kw shower on a 6mm cable - Electricians in here please!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by KILOCHARLIE, Feb 20, 2007.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE New Member

Hi, I've finally found a shower I really want.....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/8320201.htm

Unfortunately it only comes in a 9.5kw version. I have a 6mm cable which supposedly is only good for an 8.5kw at maximum (as long as its below 18 meters in length).

My cable is only 9 meters in length. Also the shower has a power selector.

I was wondering if it is ok to fit this shower and generally use the medium power selection and only occasionally use the high option in the depths of the winter?

Me and my electrician friend have fitted the cable ourselves and it does not run through anything that could cause a problem should the cable become hot (in worst case scenario).

Please help!

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Me and my electrician friend have fitted the cable
    ourselves

Is there an element of untruth here? If you friend really is an electrician you should not need to post this question. ;)

Showers-one of the most controversial and debated topics on this forum.

You could get away with a 6mm cable for a 9.5kW shower. Rating of cable reference method 1 47A. Rating of shower 41.3A.

It really would be best to ask the question before you install any cable. We would have advised 10mm2 cable.

UP

3. Subneural

Subneural New Member

This is my first post and I'll probably get shot down for it but what the hell.
    As I understand it the shower will pull 41.3A, so your fuse/mcb needs to be bigger than 41.3A ie 45A and the cable needs to have a higher rating than the fuse/mcb. Therefore the cable is dependant on the fuse rating.
    If your running a fuse/mcb rated higher than 45A your gonna need a bigger cable.

4. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE New Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

My mate is an electrician. He did advise a 10 mm cable but since he already had a big roll of 6mm to hand and it fit a lot easier into trunking in my hallway, we decided to go with that instead. It beat the 4mm already installed. I needed to fit a cable at short notice too as I had a plasterer coming to plaster over a boarded up doorway, which is why I didn't get round to choosing a shower first.

So a 6mm should be ok? Also am I correct in saying that if the shower is set to a medium power setting rather than a high, the pull on the cable will be decreased? (to probably that of an 8.5 ish?)

Many thanks for your help.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

absolutely sub. We did tell him. ;) Best drag in a 10mm2

6. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE New Member

Hi,

So if my MCB is 45A (which I think it is - I will check though) I should be in the clear.

Thanks!

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

So a 6mm should be ok? Also am I correct in saying
    that if the shower is set to a medium power setting
    rather than a high, the pull on the cable will be
    decreased? (to probably that of an 8.5 ish?)

Irrelevant.

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Unfortunately it only comes in a 9.5kw version. I
    have a 6mm cable which supposedly is only good for an
    8.5kw at maximum (as long as its below 18 meters in
    length).

My cable is only 9 meters in length. Also the shower
    has a power selector.

Then find a 8.5KW shower...

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Extension.....never ever fitted an electric shower but based upon what I have read through a variety of posts in the past..reckon just whip in a 10.0mm and be done with it.....sure as heck saves a lot of potential future problems. :)

11. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE New Member

Why is wondering whether a medium power setting pulls less current irrelevant?

Can't fit a 10mil as we spent 2 hours fitting a 6mil on the weekend and have since plastered over areas that would need to be accessed again.

Would fit an 8.5kw but since my post starts with "Finally found a shower I really want" its quite self explanatory! Guess thats my only option now though.

12. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

Just placed a clamp meter on my 9.5kw shower - max amp reading was 41amps.

This is wired in 6mm with a 32amp breaker used daily for 2 and a half years never tripped once.

Does this answer you question.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

<u>Difficult really</u>

1......Design.....
    2......Reality......

However reality is no excuse for poor circuit design.

14. state-it

state-it New Member

>Also am I correct in saying
    that if the shower is set to a medium power setting

Nope. It just means that the flow rate is sped up so the water goes past the heater quicker, therefore comes out cooler.

It will pull the same Amps whether on high, low or medium setting. It is the water flow rate that is adjusted.

15. Nicky Tesla

Nicky Tesla New Member

Just placed a clamp meter on my 9.5kw shower - max
    amp reading was 41amps.

This is wired in 6mm with a 32amp breaker used daily
    for 2 and a half years never tripped once.

Does this answer you question.

MCBs will only trip when they reach 1.45 times thier rated current and this will be after some time, and having a shower dont take that long that will be why it dont trip....If it works with the correct rated MCB then i dont see a problem...another thing, he said he put the cable in trunking so that is ref method 3 wich downrates it again.

16. Nicky Tesla

Nicky Tesla New Member

Also am I correct in saying
    [/i]that if the shower is set to a medium power
    setting

Nope. It just means that the flow rate is sped up so
    the water goes past the heater quicker, therefore
    comes out cooler.

It will pull the same Amps whether on high, low or
    medium setting. It is the water flow rate that is
    adjusted.

Many showers also have 2 elements and the medium setting will only swith on 1 element, and so draw less amps, after that is wot u described being a water pressure adjuster to fine tune the heat.

17. fuze-box

fuze-box New Member

As long as your breaker is 40amp it will be ok, because your shower will take 41.3amps (roughly 4 amps per kw) at full load and that will only be for about 15mins, the cable is rated at 48amps anyhow.

18. electric dave

electric dave Member

From table 4D2A, ref meth 3, 6.0mm max current carrying cap is 38Amps...
    Before you slay me, I know the correct table is 4D5A but theres no column for ref meth 3 (for some reason)

19. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

Ha ha, Shower question - with 10mm cable.

Should I take over and make this thread at least 7 pages long lads?

20. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Don't steal Handy's thunder.