A combination of problems!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Uplank, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Uplank

Uplank New Member

Hi and thanks in advance for any help on this.

I have lived in my home for three years now but am starting to have a few plumbing issues, I have no real DIY skills.

First off, I have a leak from a lead pipe in the downstairs wall (had another leak a few months ago in the kitchen also) which has shown through the plaster. I can see the pipe upstairs through the floor board above which also seems to go up into the loft and to the water tank.

The house has a mixture of copper and lead pipes, the pipe from the stop cock is lead and also to cold and hot water to and from the water cylinder.

I also have an old Maxol Morocco boiler which is obsolete, ideally I would like to change this for a combi boiler, as I am having problems with it (recently repaired).

So, the question is, what would be the most cost effective way of solving both problems, first the leak by either fixing or bypassing the lead pipe. Or, install a combi boiler instead of a system and bypass the lead pipes at the same time.

Of course it isn't great having lead pipes at all for obvious reasons, the leak needs to be resolved as soon as possible but money can be an issue.

Not sure of the cost for this work in the North East, any advise appreciated please see below pics.

Lead pipe with possible leak at bottom, the pipe to the left is a plastic waste pipe

[​IMG]

Damp patch on wall from leak.
    [​IMG]
    Lead stopcock
    [​IMG]
    Boiler
    [​IMG]
    water cylinder
    [​IMG]

2. This is incredibly simple. You take out all the lead pipe and you replace it with either copper or plastic.

Then you take out the old boiler and change your systems to 'sealed' and fit a combi.

There. I wish all threads were this easy...

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might find your water company offer free lead mains replacement from their mains to your stopcock outside your property, your responsible for replacing lead in house, but if you lay new mdpe, they will usually connect it up to the stopcock.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. Ok, ok, ok...

You can do this in two stages if you want, but it makes sense to do it in a oner. This is because if you simply replace all the lead pipe with copper.plastic first, then you'll need to modify a lot of that pipework when you change from your current 'vented' system to a combi. Ie - you'd be re-doing some of the work again - silly.

So you either need to find £3 to 4k now to do it all, or else call in a plumber to chust fix the lead leak for now - and start saving.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You forgot replacing stopcock with a fullbore lever ball valve.:p

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. When you come to replace the lead, your water company should do the same for the bit that goes from the external stopcock to their main supply - but that's a relatively small amount they have to do - most of it is yours.

But, no harm in asking if they are sometimes more generous than that, and might also do some of 'your' side?

KIAB likes this.
  7. Good point, well made.

Tell you what - I'll pay for that valve if you do everything else... :p

8. Uplank

Uplank New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like I will try and get some quotes for just a replace of the lead pipe in the wall first to deal with the leak, which will then give me some more time to save for the rest of the work.

One question I have, is it wrong to ask a plumber that I want to keep my lead pipes to scrap in? I understand some may account the scrapage within their quotes, to be honest It is my pipes so I can sell them and use the dosh to pay for the work. However, I don't want me asking to impact on them hiking the price.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Plumber I know goes to the scrappy 2 or 3 times a year with a van load to make it worthwhile, with the weight of lead pipe you may have..£3 - £5 at best...is it worth it!

CGN likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Let him/her keep the pipe and make them a nice cuppa. You never know when you need a good tradesperson :)

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a slice of cake..:)

CGN likes this.
  12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I doubt whether a few feet of lead pipe is going to pay for the work done to replace it. ;);)

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Cake is always the deal softener...we like cake...give me the cake...now! :D

KIAB likes this.
  14. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

The lead will be peanuts at scrap yard, so why **** off the plumber by asking for it? You have every right to ask for it (and I think you should, since the thought has already crossed your mind). Make sure you let him know about this from the word go. No need waiting to the end then saying you want the pipes.
    One thing I know for certain is that if I was the plumber and you said you wanted the pipes, I'd charge you way over and above what I would have gotten for them at the scrap yard? And future jobs will be pricey. Good luck

15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

16. Uplank

Uplank New Member

I will certainly take this feedback on board from you and others, but if the lead isn't worth that much anyway why is there a big deal about it? why should this effect price and future jobs as a penalty?

I will of course bear this in mind as I don't wish to be quoted high (although I will be having a couple of named company's in) but if I was to ask a trades person off the record, I don't understand why one would account for scrapage of property which is not theirs, I guess this is a long term unwriten rule, just seems wrong to me.

With the first job the lead pipes won't be much more than a few quid, but the second may exceed around the £20 mark, may not seem much to some people but some of us are on a tight budget. :-D