A different RCD problem.....

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BigA, Jan 1, 2017.

1. BigA

BigA New Member

Couple of years ago we bought a new raclette grill from Lidl (swiss/french cheese thing, yum yum).
    It works just fine except it has a very simple thermostat which causes the main RCD in my distribution unit to trip every time the grill thermostat 'cuts out'.
    The only way we can currently use the grill is via a 15A extension reel to the garage. The distro unit in the garage is not affected by the grill thermostat and the 'heath robertson' arrangement appears to hide the grill from the main RCD.
    But it's not a particularly elegant arrangement and not recommended when raining! So my question is, is there a plug-in solution that might 'hide' the grill from the RCD and allow me to clog my arteries safely?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

It's probs got Some earth leakage, when added to what ur other appliances are leaking, it's added effect is causing the trip out.you could have it tested but is it worth it.

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

not really. Get it pasted, but that wont help you. Buy another one

4. BigA

BigA New Member

Bugger

longboat likes this.
  5. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

maybe a plug in rcd before the grill plugs into the wall socket (as this should trip before the one in the consumer unit if it plays up) maybe get a pat done on it to get to the bottom of its issues

6. BigA

BigA New Member

Well a plug-in RCD might help with me running down to the distro box in the cellar every time the grill gets up to temp, but I'd still need to sit there resetting it.
    Shame to bin the grill.

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

your only option would be a new circuit on a non RCD circuit. It would need to be into conduit or more than 50mm in the wall both sides. Then hardwireto it into a spur.

8. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

What makes you think that?

9. BigA

BigA New Member

Yeah, this is a tabletop grill which gets used 3-4 times a year and definitely not worth a dedicated circuit. Portable genny? :)

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Obviously it may not, any other words of advise that may help the OP Mr Risteard?,instead of ridiculing others suggested answers, just saying:rolleyes:

11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Well it was a flawed claim.

For good advice, certainly - the OP should get an Electrician in.

Rulland likes this.
  12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Agreed, although we could all be more 'accomodating' on a public forum, which by its nature is here to attempt to assist the public on a public forum, ad infinitum:cool:

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

into conduit or more than 50mm in the wall both sides ----

Or surface run.

14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

As it appears to be the thermostat switching that is causing the problem you could try a plug in mains filter or filtered socket. In general they are intended to prevent inerference getting into the appliance from the mains, but in this case it may be enough to work backwards.

A new circuit just for the grill ain't worth it.

I would also be concerened about the box in the garage masking the problem. Sounds like it isn't RCD protected.

Kind regards

15. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

indeed seneca either wayto wouldnt take much depending on location ect. But itto comes down to is it worth it

16. tina lucinda lane

im now a trained pat tester and from what i have lernt/ found most plug in rcd units (either plug type or plug through type) are desgined to be slightly more senstive to faults also when an apliance fault and the fact they go between the appliance and the outlet then by design they should trip 1st however doesnt mean it always will

17. tina lucinda lane

and as it seams to be faulty appliance its a person with a pat machine (that will be best suited to help) as this will be able to carry out a battery of tests that should get to the bottom of what is causing the problem

18. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Test element it prob that

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  19. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Thats just not true. A 30mA RCD is a 30mA RCD. With two 30mA RCDs on the same circuit, there is never a guarantee which is going to operate first. Even two identical RCDs can have slightly different characteristics.

20. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

most plug rcds have a 40ms trip speed.