A farting tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MikeyMcScott, Jul 19, 2017.

1. MikeyMcScott

MikeyMcScott New Member

Hi everyone,

A very strange thing has happened today,

This morning I had my shower like usual (I use the bath tap for the shower I guess this is called a mixer tap?)

For some strange reason the pressure was really low, to be honest it would've been faster for me to wash with a jug.

I then looked on the Internet at what a sudden drop in pressure might be. Quite a lot of the searches came up with an air bubble that was trapped in the pipes.

I then followed the instructions of turning on all faucets hot and cold around the house for 15 minutes and then flushing both toilets a couple of times. I then turned all of the taps off.

I just went to put on my Bath tap on hot water and it made a racket spitting out water intermittently. It sounded like the tap was farting out water.

However I have just turned on my cold tap and there is just a small trickle? This is the same for the sink in my bathroom as well - hot works fine but there is no cold. In the kitchen both are fine.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated otherwise I'll have to go back to a jug for washing

Mmc

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do you have a cold water tank in the loft or is the water mains fed (e.g. combi boiler)?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tip of the day: Never TRUST a fart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

KIAB and MikeyMcScott like this.
  4. MikeyMcScott

MikeyMcScott New Member

I believe it is a tank because I have to pre-heat the water in the morning

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

gravity fed plumbing with air lock ,possibly bath tap has a separate issue with its valve/s

6. MikeyMcScott

MikeyMcScott New Member

Shall I run the hot water from the tap and hold onto it and then open up the cold tap? Just seen a tutorial on YouTube

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

if you have a tank in the loft ,check the water level is OK ( 2/3 full approx ).if so then start trying to remove the air lock .

8. MikeyMcScott

MikeyMcScott New Member

ok I will move some stuff and have a look but it is a bit odd that the kitchen Cold tap works fine and the two cold taps in the downstairs bathroom do not ?

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

kitchen cold is on mains , the others are from loft tank ,which also supplies the hot water cylinder ,assuming yours is in a cupboard somewhere ???

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Turn on farting tap just a little and let it run slowly for half an hour or more. Let it gurgle away the air.

11. MikeyMcScott

MikeyMcScott New Member

Hi everyone all fixed now I went to the upstairs bathroom tap, blasting some water up by blocking the end