A man's gotta do.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by philthespark, Nov 14, 2016.

1. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

A good friend of mine has another friend who lives abroad,anyway this other friend has a daughter who was married to this real idiot.He's been playing away for ages and she's finally had enough and slung him out,her dad owns the house and she's living there with her 2 year old son.
    Anyway strange things have been happening since he left,cars damaged,gates left open.even someone banging on the bedroom window one night! The poor girl is at her wits end,we know it's down to the husband,the house is isolated and they never had any bother before she threw him out,he even tried running her over last week and she was carrying the baby at the time.
    Well me and my mate have been asked to go down and fit cctv and a load of floodlights,we went friday for a look around and I suggested we took some poacher alarms with us,basically these things hold a blank shotgun cartridge and you attach a tripwire,hit the wire and bang off it goes.
    She was really pleased to know we were doing something and apparently on Friday night she had the first decent nights sleep in ages,we'd put up some temporary lighting and set the traps,my mate spoke to her on Saturday and she said someone must have been prowling on Friday night as she found one of the alarms had been detonated when she checked them on Saturday morning,we'll get the camera's and lights done this week and see what happens,hopefully he'll leave her alone when he finds out what's been done,if he doesn't we'll be taking the big dog down and doing some night patrols,god help anyone we catch.
    How can this so called "man" do what he's doing? at the end of the day he's the one who went playing away,he's been caught and doesn't like the consequences,it's bad enough hitting a woman,but involving a 2 year old is just pathetic,if he's lucky the dog will catch him because god help him if I do.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Criminal offence now, hope it's been reported to plod, so it's on record.

Poacher alarms very useful, especially when you use cartridges with rock salt in them.:)
    Rock salt disolves , no evidence.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.

3. Its because he thinks he is a big man. No doubt, loud loud mouthed and full of muscles.

Let the dog have a good go before you call it off

Joe95 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hopefully it's a rotty...:)

Joe95 likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you lived near you could borrow my dog

This is a female Boerboel "playing" with a burglar in SA - the dogs tail is wagging in the video a bit like a cat toying with a mouse

BTW it is not uncommon to "find" an offensive weapon after you have defended yourself. So make sure that your prints aren't on it before he arrives ;) but I didn't suggest that

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Guy is probably 4ft and obviously a coward

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Just the noise is enough to make most think about changing their underwear!

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Now there is an idea, somebody was snooping around my workshop last night, I am going to fit an alarm but I want something that will really deter them too, I was thinking of wiring the lock live but poacher alarms could be the more legal way to go, looks like they do a mine one as well.

I guess you would need a shotgun licence to buy the blanks?

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A strange quirk of the laws is that you can purchase blank cartridges without a licence as long as they are less than 1 inch in diameter. Crazy rule but there you go

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I was just looking at them on a websites. Yes I don't think you do.
    £15 for the trap and £20 for 10 blanks.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Definitely don't as long as the diameter is compliant.

The main restrictions on using things like this is that it must not be placed in a position that may harm or injury a person - e.g. putting the firing mechanism at head height where the sound of the discharge may damage hearing.

12. Pollowick

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Set them at knee height, otherwise if you set them ankle level, you'll give a hedgehog, cat, etc the fright of it's life when it trips one.:rolleyes:
    Use to set them up so the discharge into a tin can,or similar metal tin use to ampilfy the noise.:)
    It's easy enough to make double barrelled version, tripped by a single wire.

You can rig them up to a garden gate, so they go off when gate opened.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I was thinking about rigging it to a round knob door handle and have the blank firing out at just above head height, 2.1 ish

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too risky, as you don't know height of intruder, he could be 6'+, you then risk being sued!:eek:

Nuts height is best.:rolleyes:

16. Pollowick

Don't put it pointing towards where an intruder may be, have it pointing up or down and even just above head height. It is the NOISE rather than physical contact with a projectile and if above head height they will hear it and not know exactly where it is coming from - everyone else will hear too.

Just follow the smelly trail to track the perpetrator down ...

I have heard of people putting them inside steel drums which serves to make the sound worse with local echoes or close to branches overhead so that the leaves rustle and fall suggesting that a few projectiles passed through. The intest is to scare not to injure.

KIAB likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

After the last few days, I could be available for hire - the mood I am in would scare anybody off at the moment, even the dog is keeping his head down :oops:

KIAB likes this.
  18. HEY! CHEER UP, SOS! IT MIGHT NEVER HAPPEN! HARRUMPH - I GUESS IT NEVER RAINS BUT IT PO....

Sos...put that hammer down, man. I was kidding. Just put the hammer down. Sos... SOS! :oops:

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If I ever met one of the ******** that steals or creeps I would make sure they never see light again
    They make my blood boil.

I had a transit connect with the ****** tibby locks ford supply on them, and about 5 years ago a bunch of lowlife ***** cleared the whole van out. 10k+ worth of stuff gone. Van on driveway, me asleep.

No damage to the van, so insurance would not pay out. Never seen or heard from the police since. There was a >6 month old sthil saw in there too. Lowlife scumbags

I brought a new VW caddy in 2012 and paid for 2 mortise locks on both the sliding and rear doors, steal reinforced welded bulkhead and alarm with PIR in back and button sensors on all doors. Best investment I have ever made.
    All tools come into the house now when I get home.

Rant over. Wiggy stop at nothing to get these lowlives. I know I wouldn't use blanks on them.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It already has:

I got ambushed by the wife on Sunday - she asked how long it would take to make a kitchen cupboard unit. I said once I am set up about an hour a unit. I was then TOLD that because our neighbour is having her kitchen by Christmas It won't take me long to make the 18 units for our kitchen and she wants it ready for Christmas. So alongside all the other work I have to custom build solid timber cupboards and doors.

Then today I got a call that a neighbours van had rolled down the hill and ploughed through my fence, 2m x2m T&G gate and hit my workshop doors. It was only because I had made the doors to be resistant to ram raiding that stopped the van. So now I have to replace the fence, gates, and workshop doors interior and fix the drip edge and guttering where he hit that as well. At least they are paying for it.

To cap it all ordered replacement timber from Wickes as I can get it more or less the right size and don't have to struggle with 4m+ lengths from the timber merchant. Ordered it online and went to collect it, the muppets had put a load of damaged timber so swapped it for better stuff. Opened the packs and all the timber has stickers, not one but two on top of each other and so well stuck on look at this upload_2016-11-16_20-7-48.png
    Two hours peeling labels :mad::mad: Just had my evening meal and going back to staining the boards so I can put them up tomorrow in the rain :mad::mad:

Fuse is very short at the moment

Deleted member 33931 likes this.