A Reminder To All.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Joe95, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Last Friday my mother-in-law had a piece of scum arrive at the door asking to 'check the water'. Unfortunately, she let him in and he stole a large amount of cash (10K+) from the bedroom. I'm sure you're all aware of these methods of thefts, but please remind and give a heads up to all family and friends.

I spent my weekend, hence not being on here, at hers doing some jobs around the house. She was repeatedly getting upset and could not sleep. What is more of a concern for all of us is that this will likely happen again, but with forced entry.

I will be over again next weekend where I will be installing CCTV, an alarm with panic button and numerous security upgrades. It may not stop it, but it will make us all feel better and could catch the scum in the act.

I don't know what kind of lowlife ******* ***** decide to take advantage of an elderly lady with mild dementia, but it's a bloody good thing for them I was not there when they got in.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Hope she is ok

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry to hear of that :mad:, why 10K+ at home though in all respect...rather daft? :(

Dr Bodgit, Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Real shame,despite the warnings, peeps still keep large amounts at home, but 10K+:eek: is a ridiculous amount to keep at home, & rather stupid, even if it was in a safe,I wouldn't have that sort of cash at home.:(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Astramax and Joe95 like this.
  5. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

It's an inside job.
    Try and carry out your own investigation, Who are those who knew she would have that cash at home? Tradesmen/women, family members, staff at bank who may have ''tipped off'' someone etc. So sad. Wishing her well.

longboat and Joe95 like this.
  6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I thought exactly that, about the money. It is an ongoing issue we have. Only a few years ago I ripped up all the flooring in the hall, and found a shoe box with over 40k in it, even the bank were concerned as it would have been classed as money laundering. She doesn't trust cards and banks, and it's understandable considering everything used to be cash. We have since spoken to the post office about limiting how much can be taken out, and they have agreed.

She is rather shaken up, as is my wife and the rest of the family, but we are taking turns to visit each day this week, and I'll be staying overnight again this coming weekend.

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I would suspect the same thing. I do all the work around the house, the only other trade is the GS engineer, who I know well and he's a good lad.
    There is the possibility of the post office being involved, as well as the fact she collects the pension in cash every week. The ******* could have even followed her home.

At the end of the day, it is only money that has been taken. We are all relived she is alright as it could have been much worse.

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Look at all the regular visitors, carers, cleaners

9. palavaman

I agree it's only money, thank the good Lord for that, but the thought that a total stranger has been into her house will leave her worried for quite a while. You are doing the right thing by making your presence known till she ''calms'' down.
    When I was robbed 25 years ago in Ilford, Essex, it left me close to being a wreck for years. I actually drove past the thief some 5 mins from my flat. He had gained access through the sitting room window at ground floor level and then used my rucksack to carry all the stuff he stole, including at least £400 in cash.
    The whole thing must have been arranged by my ''girlfriend'' at the time. She was living at Edmonton and had phoned me saying she missed me loads and I must visit her around 12noon on Saturday. So around 11:30, I bought flowers and drove to her flat. When I got there, there was a note on the door that read: ''The police just came and informed me that my friend has been in an accident, so I have left for the hospital''. I drove back home and as I got to within 5mins of my place, I saw this chap with a rucksack similar to mine but thought nothing of it till I found the place turned upside down?
    I never spoke to her and she never called to ask if I had visited her as arranged? Stupid girl and thiefing basteward.

Joe95 likes this.
  10. Jeepers, Joe :(

Does she live near shops, or a built-up area? Any chance of CCTV footage of toerags walking in the area?

Are the cops involved?

Joe95 likes this.
  11. palavaman

Unfortunately, what you are going to get from cops is an initial visit, then a letter saying: ''Sorry to hear you have been a victim of crime .....''

12. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

We were burgled a few years ago. Mainly jewelry , family heirlooms , no great monetary value and covered by insurance. No cash as we did not have any!
    It leaves a horrible violated feeling even at a comparatively young age.
    Absolute scumbags.:mad:
    I suppose they would be wearing gloves so there would not be any fingerprints.

Joe95 likes this.
  13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

No trace of anything out of the blue, all the detail we got was that he was 'white'. She can't even remember what he was wearing, it's the bloody dementia. We chose not to contact the police as we cannot provide any information nor are we able to prove the cash was actually in the house. I reckon the police would likely go down the route of chasing up why so much money was kept in the house.

I won't disclose the whereabouts but the house is relatively nearby to a shopping center, but the route she walks every day is not covered by cameras and the post office only have camera's facing the staff side of the partition. Hence the reason I am going to cover the front garden and immediate pavement outside with cameras.

No regular visitors other than family.

The parking wardens would be another suspect, they would know my van and the misses car. So they would also know when she is alone.

I know what you mean Paul and Palava, it leaves you with feeling violated and angry but with no idea of who to blame. It could even be someone on the same street.
    Thanks for all the support, it helps taking to peeps who have been through it too. It's scary to think how vulnerable the elderly can be, and if you haven't got your wits about you then you'll be in trouble.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Did they visit any other houses? If not then it must mean she was singled out

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree 100%.

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Think you need to inform police doubt they question why she had so much money alot of the elderly I know do the same and store their money at home

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That is a very good point. I hadn't thought of that.
    I have only spoken to the gent two doors down, he is on his own too, and has been there for over 50 years. He said no-one knocked on his door.

I will knock on as many doors as I can on the weekend, to see if it was targeted or opportunist.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sorry to hear that Joe...truly awful!! :(

Joe95 likes this.
  19. Obviously your mum would have to agree with it, but I think you're nuts not informing the police.

If there has been a similar attempt nearby, then they could put 2 & 2 together and perhaps have a suspect.

Yes, of course they'll sigh deeply at someone keeping that much cash at home, but it won't be the first time they've seen that - they'll know it's pretty common amongst the elderly.

Hellish, Joe :(

Joe95 likes this.
  20. Sorry to hear it Joe.

Similar happened to a neighbour of my mum, a mild dementia sufferer.

Her family only allowed a little cash to be at the home, but what there was, was taken and other easy saleable stuff was taken. But it was the after effects that really caused the issue.

But nobody else in the near vicinity was targeted. So it does sound like these scum have some info where to go.

The police need to be involved, even if it just as a report. Unles they know the problems and areas they happen they have little chance of catching the people or even looking at the area more thorougly.

Joe95 likes this.