A step too far!!!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by 1st4play, May 23, 2016.

1. 1st4play

1st4play New Member

I have a dining area that is two steps down from a living area and I want to raise the floor by approx 280 mm so that it is just one step down. The existing timber floor is T&G boards on top of joists set into the brickwork and I wonder what is the easiest way of increasing the height, am I better ripping out the existing joist and starting again or can I build up on top existing boards/joist. Is there a quick way of acheiving this perhaps using Kingspan & chipbard flooring? The house was built about 1970 and the dining area is an extension built in the 1980s the land at the back of the house is on a slope hence the step down.
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What's the m2 area?

3. 1st4play

1st4play New Member

Hi its 9 sq M

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would salvage the exsisting joists if possible, & reuse them with joist hangers set to the correct height, makes for a stronger floor, less movement
    Nailed battens to sides of the joists to support the kingspan insulation.

5. 1st4play

1st4play New Member

Thanks for the reply
    The existing joists are cut into brickwork should I do the same when I move the joists or are you thinking I should fit wall plates either end & use joist hangers. I was thinking that 100mm kingspan might be used in layers to increase the height then chipboard over? I have read somewhere that it is used with a single layer like that not sure about 2/3 layers?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have never liked building on kingspan,it compresses over time, also would be expensive building up levels with kingspan, plus what you fix chipboard to?

Nail strap on joist hangers onto a wallplate bending the top straps over the back edge. then bolt the wallplate to the wall.:)

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    1st4play likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could recycle old joists or use new,same with floorboards reuse or replace with sheet flooring, I still put kingspan between the joists.

1st4play likes this.
  8. 1st4play

1st4play New Member

Thanks for your reply
    Sounds like logic! I have never used kinsman In that way either and take your point about compression/fixing difficulties. Just thought there might be a way the old floor could be used to carry the new floor without having to go to trouble of wall plate/hangars. Have even seen plastic floor raising stilts designed for loft storage Bad idea then?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Loft stilts wouldn't take the loading, plus I've only seen them in 175mm length,& a very expensive option.

One other idea timber I joists might be a solution, they are lightweight, availble in many depths.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  10. 1st4play

1st4play New Member

I joist sounds interesting can you provide a link to a website?
    Thanks

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    1st4play likes this.
  12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Is it not easiest to simply add extra timbers across existing, reclaiming boards or not depending on how easily they come up. Two layers of 2x6 are going to be somewhere close: you could use short lengths in this case and you might find off cuts somewhere

13. 1st4play

1st4play New Member

Many thanks for this information very much appreciated

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

What will the height to the ceiling be if the floors raised by nearly a foot?

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point.:)

I presume op has taken this into account.

16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Hadn't been mentioned, so you never know.
    There's also the cill heights to think about, even if building regs are not contravened, depending on existing glass and floor level difference to outside, the windows could just look a bit odd at the new height.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valid point, but his extension is built on a slope,so compromises have to be made, either steps inside or outside, hopefully he considered these things.

Sometimes setting the windows closer to the floor can work, if you have a far reaching view to look at.
    It's no different to having drawf walls in a conservatory.:)

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would be worried about any door openings!

There is also an issue of having to fit safety glass if the window cill drops bellow 800mm of the finished floor and possibly changing any electrical sockets.

Even doing this as a diy job is going to be expensive

19. 1st4play

1st4play New Member

The distance from floor to bottom of arch(rsj) before stepping down into dinin area is only 2M but but this was done sometime in the 1980s
    There are a couple of small arch feature windows that I think will look ok even if the floor is raised. I have made a mock up of new floor using a couple of planks and the distance from floor to ceiling would be 2.2M. There is also a large window at the far end of the room that looks out onto the garden and I want to put patio doors leading onto a decked area beyond. Obviously increasing the height of the floor will affect this so may either have to step down at the doors (not ideal) or I have to get the window lintel raised.
    I am out at the moment but will try to post some pictures later!
    Thanks all