A win for GLIB.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Oct 10, 2014.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

DA , perhaps "thrust upon us" is a bit strong. Perhaps our politicians are guilty of adopting EU policies without considering what the electorate feel about these policies. One that immediately comes to mind is the green policies of the EU. Where we have to invest large amounts of money into alternative energy sources. Energy sources which actually cost us dearly . Wind power comes to mind, where the wind generators etc, is manufactured by other countries and bought by the UK at extravagant prices, such that there will never be a pay back from these.
    Carbon trading or carbon offsetting WTF?? I honestly don't think their fooling anyone with these carbon reduction targets (and these schemes seen top be designed to relieve us, the tax payer, of even more money.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

LES, in london affected me, due to my van now not being allowed in to the areas covered, bloody green policy again, London has to comply otherwise we as a country get massive fines, yes that's right by those in Europe, those unelected peeps that are falling over themselves to trade with China, the most polluting country in the world, do these idiots think that having a super clean area in the atmosphere makes up for generating a super dirty one with their demand for cheap ****.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Well, wind and emissions, eh? (I'll avoid the cheap joke there... ;) )

If that ain't reason enough vote for that complete a***ole Farage, what is?

(Lies under table weeping softly... :oops: )

Ok, ok, ok... I'm not going to try and defend that stuff.

Except to say, London is a highly polluted city, so surely something had to be done? (Having said that, I've recently been told by my bro that the air in London is currently worse than ever... :( )

What do you suggest for London instead? Can't you get special rates for being a required trade, Phil? Or can you not just add the £whatever it is per day to your bills?

As for wind and renewables, what are you saying - that we don't need this? We, forever more, should either burn fossil fuels or else build more nukes?

Assuming your answer to that is "Of course we should be looking at developing cleaner energy too..." then the bad news is that the most effective way to make strides in this area is to give people money to develop them in competition with each other.

That worked with PV panels to a large extent - in around 5 years these panels have fallen to around half their original size, and still give out more power; all the panel makers had to out-do each other and that pushed development. I don't think it would have happened if they hadn't been able to sell them in the first place.

4. Phil the Paver

DA you said "how has Europe affected me personally", not a reason to vote ukip, so I gave you one, as for lining the pockets if the rich, Wind farms a total waste of money, as said will never generate enough power to cover costs and more to the point hardly ever moving, "not enough wind, to much wind" you couldn't make it up, as for burning fossil fuels or building nukes, how many years ahead are we, those that are alive now, looking to extend the life of this planet for and to what cost to our own lives and financial well being, because as selfish as it may seem, I'm here now, not in 2/3 hundred years time.

5. Oi, you - I was asking Harry not you :p

6. "...how many years ahead are we, those that are alive now, looking to extend the life of this planet for and to what cost to our own lives and financial well being, because as selfish as it may seem, I'm here now, not in 2/3 hundred years time."

Eek, I don't think you mean that?! You'd be happy for the whole planet to 'shut down' as soon as you do?

I agree that wind turbines are currently not going to solve our problems, for just the well-known reason you said. But, the future of wind energy could well be for something like, say, producing hydrogen is large quantities, a fuel than can be stored and used as demand dictates.

All I'm saying is, these green initiatives aren't the biggest cause of increasing energy bills even at the moment, and at least they are a positive move to get away from our reliance on the fruit-cakes of this world - Putin and the Middle east.

Germany's astonishing knee-jerk reaction to Fukoshima in shutting down their nuke plants now sees them completely held over a barrel by Russia. I can honestly say I did see that coming.

7. Phil the Paver

No I don't want the planet to expire with me, I don't believe it will for thousands of year to come and when it does it will be of it's own accord, using the gases produced by man as an excuse for the planet's natural climate changes is a cheap shot at extracting yet more money out of the average man's pocket to line those of the rich, many a non government paid scientist has poo pooed the whole global warming thing with strong evidence to prove their claims, only to be dismissed by those that work for governments world wide who would be out of Work if they disagreed with the the paymaster.
    History is there for all to see and the worst climate changes took place long before the petrol engine, fossil fuels being burnt, gas extraction etc,etc,etc.

8. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Phil is absolutely right, independent research has shown that global warming and cooling is cyclical , the way we are beating ourselves up economically to be "green" when there's no need is just plain stupid, especially when what we are doing is ineffective. "Green" used to mean naïve and it still applies.
    I too DA was astonished that Germany knee jerked itself into closing it's nuclear power stations in response to the Fukushima disaster when there was nothing wrong with the station itself, it was built too close to the sea in a known tsunami area. If the German government was genuinely concerned for the environment they wouldn't have done that but then, coal power attracts lots of lovely tax levies!
    The climate will keep changing whatever we do, and we would be better working out how to live with that instead of wasting resources trying to stop it.