Acceptable gas pressure drop between meter and boiler?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gordon S, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Gordon S

Gordon S Member

Is a 3mbar pressure loss between my gas meter and boiler OK? We have 20mbar at the meter but only 17mbar at the boiler <u>with no other appliances running</u>. The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 42CDi. When installed 6 months ago, the fitter advised (after the initial installation) he would need to enlarge the gas pipe size to suit because the boiler was being starved of gas (considerable extra cost). He went on to fit a complete new pipe around 10m. There are around 11 bends. It starts in 25mm and ends at the boiler in 22mm.
    Is what the fitter installed acceptable or indeed legal?

2. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Is the drop on the new pipework?? If so then it is not acceptable.

You are allowed 0 on new gas runs.

17 m/bar at boiler i would of thought it is slightly undergassed.

Manufacturers generally state 20 m/bar, does it require 20 m/bar in your manual??

Are the burner operating pressures correct? If not boiler may be undergassed.

This could be due to gas coming in to the house is not suffice or wrongly sized pipework. Has he replaced all of it in 22mm?

You could do with it being checked out!!

Hope that helps.

3. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Also how do you know the drop is between boiler and meter, has he capped off other gas legs and re tested to know this is the case?

4. Gordon S

Gordon S Member

Hi BOA,
    The pressure drop is entirely on the new run. WBosch say the boiler requires a minimum of 18mbar to work properly. The WBosch engineer said only 17mbar was getting to the boiler when checked this morning (with no other appliances running). Transco came out (for free!) within the hour and replaced the 30 year old regulator and left me with 22mbar at the meter, so presumably we now have an extra 2mbar at the boiler. Is the 3mbar loss in the BRAND NEW pipe run illegal or just bad practice?
    Thanks

5. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Both mate!!

What area are you in??

There maybe some lads on here that will sort it for you.

6. screwhard

screwhard New Member

+ or - 1mbar,with all appliances on. Think others are talking about tightness test,ie carcassing

7. Gordon S

Gordon S Member

The engineer didn't specifically cap off the legs, but checked for leaks (none) and our gas fire was off (totally isolated at the valve) and our 2 ring hob was turned off.

Does this help clarify?

8. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

I am presuming he did a tightness test before he started and then after.

If there was no drop before and then 3 afterwards then it's on the new run most likely.

9. Gordon S

Gordon S Member

I live near Wimborne, Dorset, just a few miles from Bournemouth / Christchurch / Poole area.

10. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Just noticed screwhard post, can you clarify whether it's gas leak or loss of pressure?

11. Gordon S

Gordon S Member

No leaks whatsoever, simply loss of pressure.

12. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Aah right i was thinking leak sorry.

Nice one screwhard for clearing it up.

If the governors been changed, and your getting the required pressure coming in, and you still have good pressure at the meter with appliances on it's down to pipe sizing mate.

13. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Although the problem should of come to light straight away when commissioning the boiler.

14. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

You need it checking at the boiler now to make sure.

15. Gordon S

Gordon S Member

I think that after taking 5 days to swap from a conventional boiler to a combi (they originally quoted 2 days or 3 days max) AND having changed the gas pipe run (a whole day), it would have been too embarrassing to admit they got it wrong?

16. Gordon S

Gordon S Member

The commissioning sheets stated that 18mbar was being achieved (oct 07). Measured today by Wbosch at 17.1mbar. No changes to pipework since.

17. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

If you can follow the pipework from meter to boiler and check that it is all in big pipe and no small pieces of 15mm etc where it has not been changed.

Good choice of boiler though!!

18. rome60

rome60 New Member

Get the installer to check boiler burner rate when in domestic mode, when other appliances are running.Also you say thegas supply starts at 25mm i think you mean 28mm thats what it should be,do you mean the bends are elbow fittings would be better if they were bends less resistence.

19. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I live near Wimborne, Dorset, just a few miles from Bournemouth / Christchurch / Poole area.

just round the corner from me! ( I don't do gas anymore)

This guy is the best local Corgi:

P L Matthews
    79 Springdale Road, Broadstone, Dorset, BH18 9BN
    01202 602245

20. rome60

rome60 New Member

Captain ,do you mix with the millionares at sandbanks saw a documentry on tele a few weeks ago some dosh downthere.