Accessing concealed toilet cisterns, is it easy?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by chefdave, Aug 2, 2011.

1. chefdave

chefdave New Member

Hello plumbing fans,

After my hot tap success I'd like to tackle another problem. My nan has a push-button concealed toilet which has just decided to stop flushing, I noticed the other day that water was trickling into the pan and thought that this might be an internal overflow? Then today it packed up altogether and the trickle has got worse, but I can't have a look without first getting into the thing!

Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

It is more likely to be the dump valve at fault. Some are easier to access than others, you also need the correct parts to fix it, they are all different, literally hunderds of different types out there. This is the sort of job that an experienced plumber will fix in half an hour but could take you a whold weekend to sort out. ;)

3. chefdave

chefdave New Member

I'm sure a pro could fix it a quicker than I could, but I have a plumbing shop right on my doorstep so could take a part to them if I'm unable to identify it.

I think I need to remove the panel that holds the button, it's about 20cm high by 80cm long, any tips on how to get it off?

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

pull it! :eek:

5. chefdave

chefdave New Member

I gave it a go but didn't want to force it, perhaps there's a way of removing the button first?

6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

No! Getting the panel off is the easy bit!

They are usually quite well clipped into place, a good tug with a bit of leverage if you can slip a blade behind it should do it.

7. chefdave

chefdave New Member

Thanks! I gave it another go and it came away easily. I'm a bit concerned that's the 'easy bit' though.

8. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Hi chefdave

The front panel may be held on by flush mount fittings -
    Search SF item 11423 if your not sure what these are (or a similar fitting)

If these have been used then pull the panel upwards to release - you may need a bit of leverage though to get the fittings to separate

There will be a cable attached at the back of the push button that can be unclipped, once you get the panel off

Does the concealed unit have a top that is removable ?

9. chefdave

chefdave New Member

Hi DIYDave, I can get the top panel off now and I'm able to remove the cistern lid, but the whole thing is under a worktop so I'm unable to stick my head in to have a look. Maybe I need to remove the bottom panel too, the one behind the pan.

I think the main problem is that because water is constantly discharging into the bowl it's not reaching the fill level so the flush won't work, the inlet looks like it's leaking too but I'm too bothered about that.

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Correct, the bottom panel needs sliding up to get access. Cut any silicon between the pan and bottom panel. Turn the water off 'cos if you disturb the flush pipe while doing this you will have a flood! :)

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Even experienced plumbers think twice before faffing around with built in cisterns! Talk about fools rushing in.....

12. chefdave

chefdave New Member

Thanks once again guys. I've removed all the panels and took apart the inlet to expose the diaphram washer, and when I put it together again it filled up properly and flushed! Unfortunately though I'll get one flush out of it and it won't fill up again, it sort of pulses water before giving up altogether. Very strange.

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Not strange, its sticking 'cos its worn, replace the inlet valve.

14. chefdave

chefdave New Member

Thanks for the help, I managed to sort it in the end. It was in 3/8 brass so replaced the Torbeck with a Geberit which they had in stock. It's working fine now.