Acoustic Slab

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by mrppp, Jul 26, 2017.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Thought buying this would be the easy bit. Built stud wall all at 400mm centres and although done in 4 x 2 it would appear on measuring that 100mm slabs will be a bit tight so I thought go for 75mm. Only trouble is these all seem to be 600mm slabs. Anyone suggest a good slab ( or any) that will be 75mm and 400mm slabs so they kind of fit. Best i'm finding is
    Rockwool Flexi Slab 1200 x 400 x 60mm

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just cut the 600 slab with a sharp Stanley knife, snap off the excess and wedge into position.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I used Rockwool RA45 slabs to fill in between the studs on a stud wall.

Would have made life easier if I had made the studs at over 600c/c.

Ended up using the off cut to make up one piece, rather than binning it. As long as its a nice snug fit it should give the same benefit.

On other places where I need thinner slabs I ended up slicing the top layer of to get the required thickness. Easy with a handsaw.

Slabs do compress little, But too much inst good as putting stress on the plasterboard and fixings. if nails are used could pope nail heads.

Looking on the net seems there are quite a lot of densities available, so depends on the level of sound level protection you are wanting to achieve.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rockwool Sound Slab comes in 400mm with.

5. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

mrppp likes this.