Acrylic aerosol spray paint

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Astramax, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

:)Will be acrylic spray painting (aerosol can) my daughters wing mirror caps using a solid colour, I know that metallic paints are finished off with a lacquer to seal and weatherproof the finish, do solid colours require a lacquer coat . Been a while since I sprayed my Lambretta with cellulose in the 1971!:cool:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would think you need a lacquer coat, as it's that which gives you the durability of the finish.

Ask at you local car body shop.

3. Astra, where are you getting the paint?

If it's a can of pre-made acrylic car paint from an auto shop like Halfords, chances are a solid colour won't need a lacquer coat. But the can will state clearly whether this is the case. Most of the 'acrylic' paint aerosols I have don't need a lacquer - unless, as you say, it's a metallic or pearl colour.

Paints on modern cars are now often water-based or fully synthetic, and these are often given a lacquer coat in the factory.

But, chances are an off-the-shelf can of solid paint is fine as it is.

Depending on the finish you get straight out of the can, it may need a polish ('cutting') tho', and then definitely give it a few coats of 'wax' to seal the surface and protect it.

But let the paint harden fully - a couple of weeks? - before doing this.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thanks Gents, only asking as it says nothing on the can (from Halfords) but mentions lacquers on the metallic can. :confused:

5. If it don't mention it, it won't need it :)

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Used to be cellulose when I was a lad! ooohhhh! those fumes:rolleyes:

7. Pleased to say you can still get it - if you claim your car is a 'classic'... :rolleyes: