Acrylic paint advise

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by aldy65, May 21, 2017.

1. aldy65

aldy65 Member

Hi,

Currently redecorating the hall and need some advise regarding the painting of the woodwork.

All skirting boards and architrave have been replaced with new ones, however the original stair banisters and window seals have remained. On the old woodwork the paint has peeled in places revealing older gloss underneath and is generally patchy and worn.

I have filled and sanded all the new woodwork and sanded and made good of the existing woodwork as much as possible.

My question is should I use an oil based undercoat/top finish on both the new and old wood to cover the surface better and hide the descrepencies. Or would a decent acrylic undercoat cover fine?

Any advise appreciated, looking to finish this up next weekend.

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Acrylic u/coat will be fine, Dulux Quick Dry Primer Undercoat and Crown Fastflow Quick Dry Primer Undercoat both have excellent opacity as does the Fastflow gloss and satin finish.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And use a quailty brush like the Purdy Monarch XL Elite.

Astramax might recommend something better.:)

4. aldy65

aldy65 Member

Thanks for your advise, I have now painted all the new skirting and architrave with no problem. However I have another question.

The stairs and banisters are original and have had at least 3 coats of paint on them, and the last coat is peeling in places of use (like the rail and certain banisters). Question is I have removed the coat of paint which was peeling in those places, however should I try and get that whole coat off from it all? Or is it safe paint over the parts which haven't peeled? What would be the best long term option to do.

Thanks,

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sanded to a smooth finish would be fine, also a good wash with sugar soap and rinsed off prior to painting would be advised.