Actuator or end switch fault? ... Heating only comes on when another Zone is on.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jayvee, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

Hi Guys

Long while since I've been here, but need a bit of expert advice.

I have three Honeywell motorised valves - two port V4043H 1056 in an S Plan system.
    The problem I have is that the main zone will only heat up if one of the other zones is on. When this first happened a few weeks back (fairly intermittent then), I thought it might be a faulty room stat so replaced it. Made no difference!
    Now I'm thinking it might be either the synchron motor in the valve, or the end switch. Would be easy enough to change the motor, but not sure about the end switch?

Is this a clue? The manual lever is totally free when the zone is calling for heat, even though the heat won't come on till another zone calls for heat. And when the 'problem' zone is NOT calling for heat (or is in the OFF position) the manual lever is free just part way, as normal. So it seems no contact is being made with the end switch?

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks guys :)

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Synchron motor sounds fine. Sounds like the end switch. I'm not sure the switch can be replaced.
    A new actuator will be required. This is secured onto the body of the valve with 2 screws located under the metal casing.

Jayvee likes this.
  3. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

If you are getting heat with other circuit switched on, then the valve is opening but not switching. New actuator required.

Jayvee likes this.
  4. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

Thank you Mike83. I think I'll try a new actuator first. I have a spare which I kept from my old house a few years back - not sure if it is compatible though - it has stamped on its case "Honeywell F5-9311" and looks the same - but is it? Would you know? I believe it's a genuine Honeywell as it has blue wires. Thanks for your help.

5. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

Thanks for your response heatyman. So it seems what I suspected could be right. I'll try replacing the actuator. Cheers!

6. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

7. I guess there's a few wee tests you can carry out to confirm - tho' it does sound like what you and everyone else is saying.

Eg - shut off the whole power to the system, try and continuity test across that valve's grey and orange as Lee says, and move the lever to fully open position.

Or, turn on that heating zone only, and observe the motor activating. If the heating doesn't come on - hit the valve...

Jayvee likes this.
  8. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

9. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

Thanks for the advice Devil's Advocate, that's very helpful. As I replied to leesparkykent, if it is the end switch that's gone I'm wondering how easy it is to replace as I've never changed one before. Any advice you can give on that would be much appreciated. :)

10. I've no idea J, as I've never taken one apart.

It all depends on your level of competence. I mean, I know that I could do it... :p

Look up that model on t'net and see how to remove the motorhead - shut the power orf first, of course. Work out (I bet there's a video out there) how to remove the motorhead housing cover to expose the innards, and then try moving the manual lever to 'open' and see if the MS goes 'click'.

Two possibilities - one is the MS is electrically faulty internally so doesn't make a connection, and t'other is that it's faulty mechanically so the lever doesn't activate the MS's lever properly.

If you are reasonable are tackling such things - can work in a systematic & logical manner - then huge chance you can fix this.

BUT - you haven't actually diagnosed the issue yet... :rolleyes:

Can you carry out the tests I mentioned earlier?

Jayvee likes this.

11. (Haven't looked at it yet.)

Jayvee likes this.
  12. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

Thanks DA. The vids were amongst the best I've seen. I've bookmarked them on Youtube so I can refer to them again.

First, I haven't yet done the tests - want to be sure I'm doing it right as I don't want to risk being without any CH.... Also I have to confess that I might have been using the wrong terminology - I've been referring to the synchron motor as the actuator :oops: (been watching too many vids on Youtube which caused confusion!)..... i.e. When I was saying I'd try a new actuator first, I meant the synchron motor...... Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it now, the 'actuator' refers to the complete zone valve?? I hope I haven't caused confusion myself to you guys. Really sorry if I have.

Anyway, when I've done the test you suggest, I'll come back and let you know how I get on...... And I'll be sure to isolate the CH system from the consumer unit first. Thank you again for your valuable advice :)

13. I don't think anyone was confused, JV.

I'm guessing that the 'actuator' is, indeed, the whole motorhead, 'cos that part is usually easy to detach from the valve body without draining down the system.

Anyhoo, one simply test - turn on ONLY that zone, and if it doesn't come on - then hit the valve :)

Check out prices of replacement 'heads to see if it's worth going that route rather than repair the one you have. But obviously confirm it's that part at fault first...

Jayvee likes this.
  14. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

OK DA, tried the last test as you suggested - and hit the valve (assuming you weren't joking).That didn't do anything. Next took cover off after killing the power to do the continuity test, but couldn't see how I could get to the end of the wires to microswitch without removing the the whole motorhead. Looks easy enough to do, but didn't want to take it off, find it's OK but then couldn't put it back properly! - And consequently be without heating in that main zone. I'm pretty sure I'll be capable of changing the whole thing, but might be better to wait till spring when heating not required..... As it is at the moment, I do need the second zone heated, so at least the main (problem) zone will heat when that comes on. Just inconvenient as they aren't normally on the same time.
    Also, when we don't need the heating on, I could try taking the motor head off one of the other zones and trying it on the problem zone. If it works, then that should confirm the problem valve is faulty. Am I right thinking that?

Still might be worth my while trying a new synchro motor first. I have a spare one (from my old house) but not sure if it's compatible. It looks the same, and has "Honeywell F5-9311" stamped on its face, which means nothing to me: tried Googling it, but no joy!..... I can always pick one up from Screwfix - probably handy to have a spare anyway.

I'm very grateful for the help you've given me, especially for the time you give up to help people like me!..... I will report back when I eventually get it sorted. So thank you :)

15. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

test them in the wiring centre not the valve.

Jayvee and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  16. Your thinking is pretty much on track.

I suspect it isn't the actual motor, tho', because if the zone works when the other zone is also on, then that shows that the faulty zone has had its valve opened - and that can only be by the motor (unless, of course, it's permanently stuck open, which I doubt)?

If you have someone there to operate the timer controls, then a 'working' zone valve is easy to monitor by noise alone - with that channel calling for heat (turn up the room stat with the timer also 'ON') the zone valve should make a whirrr for around a couple of seconds followed by a distinctive 'click' from the microswitch. Turn the stat down and there should be a similarish whirrr as the spring returns the valve to closed position (not sure if the 'off' click happens at the start or during that whirrrr....)

With the cover off, moving the manual lever fully should trip the MS too - and be audible. Is it? You should be able to have an idea if its working, or what part isn't.

Yes, swapping the MH with another one will/should also diagnose the issue - and they should be dead easy to swap, the trickiest bit being the wiring - make 100% sure you have recorded where each wire goes in the wiring centre.

Jayvee likes this.
  17. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

Thanks for that advice leesparky. Guess I should have thought of that. I probably won't do that yet as it would mean killing the power again, and another problem....see below.

Another problem I found out yesterday, is that the battery in the Horstman programmer (H37XL) seems to have expired (installed 11 or 12 years ago). So when I kill the power, it doesn't 'remember' the settings, meaning I have to reset it and do all the programming again for three zones. To make it worse, the installer positioned it in a place where it's awkward to get at and see what your doing. I had to do this yesterday and almost lost the will to live!! Much swearing to let off steam, kept me sane!!....Anyway, it looks like new programmer required, as battery apparently not replaceable (ridiculous)...... So now with two things possibly needing replacing, I think it best to wait till the warmer days when heating not required, and deal with everything in my own time.
    Meanwhile, I'll print out all these posts for reference in case I forget something.

Thanks again for your help lsk - you guys on here are brilliant :D.

18. Jayvee

Jayvee Member

Thank you for getting back to me DA. I see what you mean about the motor - makes sense!
    My son is here at the moment, so was able to try the other 'listening' test you suggested. First trying it with the working valve to see what it should sound like; and the whirring and click were easily audible. Then did same with problem valve and he could only hear a very faint, steady noise (not a whirring sound) and no click heard.
    The strange thing is that when heat is called for, the manual lever is loose and has full and travel (which suggests the valve is open) - and when not calling for heat the lever can only move about half the way (which suggests closed). So, as you say, it appears the valve is opening and closing, but is not making the connection with the micro switch. Hmmmm!.....

Anyway, as I replied to leesparky, it now appears that I also need a new programmer (battery died - not replaceable). So turning off the power to do tests or replace bits, means having to re program the programmer each time - which is a pain in the butt to do for three zones, specially as it's very awkward to get at. So I think definitely best to do the lot come Spring once we don't need heating on. Seems pretty straight foward to replace these things, and I'll be able to take my time then. I have a healthy respect for electricity - so always take photos of connections etc, and make diagrams to follow if needed when I'm working.

Thanks a lot for all your help - very much appreciated :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If in any doubt regarding electrics there is an easier way.
    You could replace the actuator.
    To do this you could use 5 way connector plugs. Wire the new actuator in to one side of the plug. Turn off the power. Then cut the old cable close to the actuator your replacing. Strip back the wires and connect in to the other plug matching the wires.
    Doing it this way won't involve opening the wiring centre.
    Just an idea.

Jayvee likes this.