Adaptaflex terminating in fire rated spotlight

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by benwilson30, May 18, 2015.

1. benwilson30

benwilson30 New Member

Can anyone help me understand how adaptaflex is supposed to be terminated when trying to connect to a fire rated (or any other, I suppose) downlight/spotlight? My spark is suggesting attaching a junction box to the top of each fire rated light. Is that the way to do it? I'll have to drill and tap holes into the top of about 10 lights if so! Cheers

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Could you explain why you are using adaptaflex? And what type of fire-rated light fitting are you installing? Just trying to understand the circumstances so we don't give any wrong advice. :)

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Whats adaptaflex, is it like copex? I use the toolstation fire rated fittings, you can loop a 1mm in and out with ease.

4. benwilson30

benwilson30 New Member

Adaptaflex is like copex. The house has a thatched roof and the existing wiring is all in adaptaflex/copex. So I think the sparky wants to be consistent with what is there already and also he has said it's a requirement (or maybe its his preference) - either way I'm happy to go with it. I just need to find a way to connect from the adaptaflex to the spots. Hope that makes sense?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, you learn something new every day.:eek:
    Is this specified by the buildings insurance company, I seen pyro in thatch houses, which was specified due to the fire risk & mice.:D

6. benwilson30

benwilson30 New Member

I don't know whether its actually a requirement or just a recommendation. It was there already, some of the circuits have been extended, so I didn't challenge the spark when he said it was needed. I now need to terminate the conduit in a spotlight. Any ideas on the rules around this?

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It's usually steel conduit or MI that is specified, although I have seen FP used.

You could terminate the copex at a galvanised trouser box, and have a final short tail of FP.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

There are no requirements in the Regs as to adaptaflex because its a proprietary product. However, the Regs requirement would be no basic insulation should be visible outside the containment. It would be acceptable to use a short length of flex or T&E terminated on to the light fitting in the standard way and as your spark already suggested connecting the adaptaflex on to a box. Its straightforward really.