Adapting existing outdoor power supplies

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by chickenchaser, Sep 2, 2014.

1. chickenchaser

chickenchaser New Member

My house has external power into the garden fitted by the previous owner.

Currently there is street light (one of those 3 bulb types) which is connected via SWA, and straight into a 13a fused switch spurred from a socket.

The other is a water pump for a water feature which is connected via SWA which then enters the house as 3 core mains cable on a plug beside a socket.

Presuming both are suitable (the first being fused and the second being an elaborate extension lead) I am hoping to make use of these in an adjusted setup.

I've wired in 10 LEDs into a deck which are 0.5w each, and I plan to add a water feature in the future, which will use a simple pump.

I had planned on using the current water feature install to attach a IP66 twin socket to it, so I can then plug the water feature and lights into it. I guess alternatively, they could both be joined via a junction box, but then it takes away the option of having one or the other? It also gives me a potential power source for any other low powered items (laptop charger for example).

The cable to the street light is only long enough to site it where it currently is, some 2-3 metres from the house. I would like to re-site this around 8-9 metres away. Will I need new cable or can the SWA be joined successfully?