adding a seperate switch to a bathroom extractor fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Linds11, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Linds11

Linds11 New Member

Hi, I currently have a bathroom extractor fan that comes on when I turn the lights on stays on after I switch them off for approx. 30 mins. Can I add another pull cord switch so that I can choose whether the fan comes on with the lights or not and if so what type of switch do I need? Seems silly to have the fan on when not showering as we already have a window with vent and the fan is so blooming noisy!

TIA

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You could, if you want it inside the bathroom, it will have to be another pullcord type, or a normal type outside the bathroom.

Without seeing how its wired up at the mo, it's hard to say where to connect it in the current wiring.

A sparks will be along soon to say if you need the services of a sparks due to part P Building Control Reguations.

3. Linds11

Linds11 New Member

thanks for the reply, would be happy to have another pull cord so it is easily accessible and hoping it can be fairly easily added.

I'm annoyed because when the sparky fitted it when he rewired the house recently he put it in the wrong place (he lost my drawing but didn't feel the need to contact me to check), I also assumed that it would be isolated as that is the way I have usually seen them and he didn't mention it otherwise I would have asked him to do it at the time, I've definitely learned my lesson with this guy!

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

There should be a separate switch (3 pole if timer) to isolate the fan as a basic reg requirement

Get him back if poss to install as the good book says

Si

5. Linds11

Linds11 New Member

just to clarify do you mean he should have installed the isolator at the time to meet regulation? (it was a new fan as there wasn't one before).

I only ask because we have had nothing but issues with this guy, been waiting three weeks now for him to fix a plug socket that he installed that doesn't work and I don't want to waste my time with him if the isolator was optional but if it is regulation I will get him back to do it.

thanks

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Most fans have an adjustable timer that can be set - how about just reducing the overrun time?

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I wonder if he has done what I did and fit this in the loft next to the fan, if so shouldn't be to had to move it to a pullcord.

8. Linds11

Linds11 New Member

Coloumb - I thought about this but the trouble is then when we do use the shower it is useful to have it stay on after.

Phil I'll get my husband to check as we may just be able to drop the pullcord through the ceiling then...

9. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Yes, a switch should have been fitted as a matter of regs and safety, if your cleaning it for example and someone accidentally turns the light on. . . .

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Regs-wise only if there's not a window I believe as that would mean people would not switch off at the c/unit so that the light could be kept on?
    Also nothing to do with switching the light on because the permanent live would still be there, light on or off.

11. Linds11

Linds11 New Member

Thanks all, there is an isolator in the loft so will see if we can pop it down through the ceiling and add a pullcord. :)

12. Why would you go to that trouble? Follow Coulomb's advice and reduce the overrun timer to whatever suits you. Your sparky wasn't very considerate when he left the overrun at 30 minutes I'd normally go for 2 or 3 unless told otherwise.