adding a socket with trunkening

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by notajarofglue, Nov 25, 2015.

1. notajarofglue

notajarofglue New Member

HELLO AGAIN! I want another socket in my bedroom.... the electrician said the easiest way is to use trunking from the socket already there to the new one but because the socket is buried in the wall will look a bit odd because the trunking is thicker than the socket. is there any way around this as its on the only way that is viewable in the room!!!!

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

You can cut the end of the trunking at 45 cut the excess then glue down. then chisel/chase underneath to get into exsisting socket. It looks ok and often see this. It's not to everyone's taste.

Think you can buy ready made ends like this.
    Interesting to see what the Sparks say

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Get a slim profile trunking.

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Channel out fill and redecorate??

5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

It depends on the extent of your wallet, and the extent of the skills of the electrician, or decorator, for patching up and making good.

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Even a badly patched chase will look "nicer" than trunking. Largely depends where it is in the abode. Trunking in a bedroom would not work for me.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I've seen some ghastly lumps in walls that look more visually offensive than trunking and a surface box.
    But where the trunking begins from a flush socket,then I'm in total agreement with you.

It's possible to chase down to skirting board height, and have a trunking the full length of the skirting (and around a corner if needed but still full-length trunking along the skirting), then chasing back up to a new sunken back box. Then you only have a couple of filled chases of maybe 6 inches long to the skirting.

That looks better than a ragged scar across the length of the wall, IMO.

tore81 likes this.
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would concur but re-retracting my statement I sort of meant someone having a reasonable attempt at chasing out and filling it in.

9. Owain

Owain Member

Saves problems with buried cables outside the permitted zones too.