Adding an extra florescent strip light.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by busterboy1, May 16, 2015.

1. busterboy1

busterboy1 New Member

Can I simply run a cable from an existing strip light to the new one so both lights are operated by the same switch ?

Please keep any answers simple as I am not good with electrical stuff.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Phil the Paver likes this.
  2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Yes; but as you are "not good with electrical stuff" you might be better getting an electrician to do it . It should not cost much as I cannot think of a simpler task.
    I don't wish to alarm you unduly but a lot of people who are not good at electrical stuff and not good at living also.

Welshdragon1 and seneca like this.
  3. busterboy1

busterboy1 New Member

Thanks Paul,

I understand your concern re. amateurs and electricity. its better to be safe than sorry.

A kindly reminder that ambulance !!!!!!!!!

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Hi Busterboy.
    I thought I might have been a little harsh on you. as it is just a matter of turning the electric off and connecting a bit of 1 mm sq. twin & earth from the three terminals in the existing strip light to the new one . But it might not appear that simple to you once you open up the cover on the fluorescent as there will be a starter, condenser and ballast in there and there is a bit of wiring connecting it all up so you could make a mistake if you have never done it before. I am only a DIY'ER myself but I have being jobs like this (probably illegally!) since I was at Secondary School over 50 years ago when the regulations were not so strict.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Busterboy, yes just connect another wire on to the existing light fitting and wire to the next one

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  7. busterboy1

busterboy1 New Member

Thanks Paul, unphased and KIAB for the help.

I actually fitted the original strip light & needed to double check for safety reasons.

I think I am capable of doing this but would rather be super careful with electrics.

Still appreciate the warning though.

8. If you fitted the first, one BBoy, then you can certainly fit the second.

The warnings above are obviously valid, tho'. I think it'll be less "Will it work?" but more "Will it be safe?"

Issues like will the metal case be properly earthed? Will the entrance for the cable be protected with a grommet if needed? Will the bare earth wire be sleeved? Will the cable be secured with enough clips, and run in an area where it cannot be damaged - 'zones' and all tha'? That kind of stuff.

The actual wiring is the easy bit; you have a L, N and Earth in your first fitting, and you continue these exact same connections to your second lamp - L, N and Earth. Exactly the same.