Adding Plug Sockets in a Wimpey No Fines Property

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tempest501, May 8, 2015.

1. tempest501

tempest501 New Member

Me and my wife just bought a wimpey no fines house and today we realised that in our kitchen there are not really any plug sockets where the kitchen units are.

I am not really good at this sort of thing and wondered if someone can advise on what its likely to cost to add some extra sockets or move the existing one round. It would be on the outside wall of our kitchen. I wondered if the fact the outside wall are concret would have any implications etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you are looking to have cables hidden and not in trunking the only solution is to cut away a chase in the wall, using an angle grinder or breaker, It would be best to place cables in conduit - there will be dust.

Unless you are doing a complete kitchen refurb, the walls could be boarded out.

Does the house have a brick exterior skin installed at a later date?

I have just done some work in a similar house and it took over 2 hours just to core a 40mm hole. Drilling is a nightmare as the drill bit deflects and ends up somewhere else.

3. tempest501

tempest501 New Member

From what I can tell it is not a brick exterior skin, it is rendered in a bebble dash material. We are planning on getting a new kitchen but cant quite afford it for a year maybe 2. Would it be best to wait? When you get a new kitchen installed do the guys fitting it do the plugs as well (for a price of course)? Sorry if a dumb question but I have no idea at all with this stuff so would be getting people to do it.

Difficult for us to try and decide what to do because where the plugs are situated currently we can not really use the work surfaces.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The pebble dash is the original exterior of the building, there are a lot of these type of house near my way, when in council ownership, a new brick single leaf wall was built with a cavity with insulation. There are still some houses dotted around which were brought up by previous occupier so these didn't have the brick outer leaf.

If you are planning on doing the kitchen, it would be best to wait until then. In the mean time you could use surface mounted trunking to enclose the wiring a cables.

5. tempest501

tempest501 New Member

So if we wait and get an electrician in it shouldnt be a big deal for him to add some sockets and just use some trunking?

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What does ''no fines'' mean with respect to the Wimpey house Tempest?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No fine aggregate ie big pebbles in your concrete.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

U on the lash Chip? - flipping eck m8 :)

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That was the first sober advice I have given in years o_O:rolleyes:o_O

10. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Just an amateur but the answer is no it would not be. I think you have a few alternatives.
    I really don't know what the practicalities and problems are of cutting chases in a "nofines" wall and I really don't think many will unless you have many such houses in your area, then a local electrician should know best what he is doing.
    Jitender has worked on one though so he will know what he is talking about.
    There is normal plastic surface trunking and plastic sockets or for a more industrial look you could use metal sockets and boxes with either cicular metal or plastic conduit

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-metal-clad/49437

Just an idea.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  11. tempest501

tempest501 New Member

I had no idea either what it was so had to quiz our surveyor who said they are great, found this video too that explains

12. tempest501

tempest501 New Member

Thank you, spoke to an electician today who thought we should just do trunking and when we get round to get the kitchen they could hide it then. Just waiting to see him in person to see about costs.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Tempest and Chips. I now understand exactly what the houses are, have a good day m8.

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

We never finish learning do we JP, i'd never heard of the "no fines" business before!

15. PaulBlackpool

I had heard of them before. There are also "Cornish" houses and other of a non- standard concrete construction on which it can be hard to get a mortgage.

Of course it could be that the builder had not received a fine as he had the concrete mix correct.:):rolleyes::)

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I admit I was thinking of some sort of legal implication when I first read the post Paul!

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  17. PaulBlackpool

hi Sen. For those who don't know on a large construction site they have to have the concrete mix tested now and again. They have to send a specific sized cube of concrete to a laboratory to have a crush test done on it to make sure it is up to standard I believe.

18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Concrete lintels in houses on a 1980s estate by me are crumbling. People are having the lintels replaced, and the old ones can literally be broken into rubble and bagged up!

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is a link to a project I carried out in a similar house, the house had an external brick leaf wall built at a later date.

You can see the pebbledash which formed the original exterior wall, the concrete was formed using pebbles bonded together. A Titan breaker was used to make the hole through the concrete, much quicker than core drilling.

20. PaulBlackpool

The Romans had concrete but they didn't skimp on the cement!:)