Adding pump to increase water flow to bath/shower combo.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by olryst, Oct 16, 2017.

1. olryst

olryst New Member

Hello.

I currently have a gravity fed system for may bath, with both hot and cold coming from a loft tank.

I want to add a pump to increase the flow to my mixer taps with shower attachment.

I'm currently looking at a Stuart Turner Monsoon twin 3 bar for the pump.

Where in my system would should I place the pump?

Thank you.

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

On the floor of the airing cupboard is a good position.

Why do you need to pump the supply to your bath/shower combo ? i assume you have a deck mounted bath shower mixer.

Usually the bath will fill via gravity at a good flow rate as long as suitable taps are fitted,do you want the pump to operate every time a bath is filled ?

Pump to a dedicated thermostatic shower mixer valve,its worth the extra expense.

3. olryst

olryst New Member

If I were to add a dedicated thermostatic shower mixer valve, where would I attach it to supply it with water?

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The hot&cold supply pipes would need to be connected to pipes which are air free and then pumped to the shower mixer valve,a lot depends on what is already installed.

Every house is different ;)

5. olryst

olryst New Member

So I would need to connect pipes to the hot and cold pipes coming from the loft tank, and run them to the shower with the pump somewhere in between.

Should the pump be a certain distance away from either the loft tank or the shower?

Also am I correct in thinking the pump needs its own dedicated power cable running all the way to the mains switch box?

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You will need to take the cold directly from the loft tank by installing a new pipe specifically for the pump.
    The hot will need to come from the cylinder preferably using a flange, worst case tee'd off the hot supply.
    The out going side of the pump will need to be plumbed directly to your shower/ mixer taps.
    Whilst not strictly needed a thermostatic mixer set of taps would vastly reduce the risk of scalding.
    Your power supply can come from a fused spur as most of these units are only 3 amp.

7. As dave does gas says above. The power cable can run off a spur from your immersion heater supply or pump etc in the airing cupboard. No need to go to the mains switch box.