Adding rcd protection to old board.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by partpee, Oct 12, 2015.

1. partpee

partpee Member

Im adding an external rcd to the ring on an old wylex board.

Could i go from the enclosure to board in a short length om 6mm? It would be much neater than using the existing cables.

6mm CCC is 47A clipped direct so no worries there, just seeing if this was standard practice or not.

Thanks.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with doing it that way.

FatHands likes this.
  3. partpee

partpee Member

Cheers seneca.

Also - do you know of a small plastic enclosure that has an earth bar attached? I cant find one!

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No I don't, I had a similar problem recently and had to use a piece of connector block. The only ones I've used that have neutral and earth bars are small c/unit enclosures such as shower or garage c/u's.

5. partpee

partpee Member

Actually, suppose i could use a din rail connector block for the cpc.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

It is an earth bar as the OP wanted. Don't see you offering a better solution.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It's an earth block, not a bar. I didn't offer a solution as it's pretty obvious, and two usual options had been made clear. A small terminal block is all that is required. Where are you going to find room in a two module din rail enclosure for that thundering earth block?

Most people would butt the din rail enclosure to the existing CU and take the earths straight through, or join with an everyday terminal block.