additional sockets to extension.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lanster, Aug 30, 2014.

1. lanster

lanster New Member

hello all, I have a rear kitchen extension to my property that has had an additional consumer unit fitted but not yet tested and signed off, in the extension I wouldn't mind an extra socket fitted on to an internal studded wall in the extension. the nearest socket available is in the old kitchen which has its own circuit but off the main consumer unit. my question is to sign the extension off electrically would the one and only socket on that walls circuit need checking? a bit hard to explain and understand, but the rest of the extension is all plastered so would require chasing walls out too put onto the new consumer unit. thanks

2. SparkyFacts.co.uk

SparkyFacts.co.uk New Member

Hi,

You can connect the new socket on to the old (existing) ring main supplied form the old (main) CU. In this case there is a need for a Minor Electrical Installation Works certificate to cover the new socket.

The new CU in the extension is a completely separate job, which has nothing to do with the new socket supplied from the old kitchen circuit. It does not matter if the new socket is located in the extension because it is supplied from the kitchen (from the old CU). The new CU in your extension obviously needs its own Electrical Installation Certificate.

I hope I am clear:
    - get the new CU tested and signed off
    - add the new socket on to the old kitchen circuit and complete a Minor Electrical Installation Works certificate for it.

Hope this helps.

Alex from SparkyFacts.co.uk

3. lanster

lanster New Member

Yes that's clear thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Weather it matters a socket is located in the new build and powered from the existing build.

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Makes no odds.