Adhesive for pressed ceramic tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Alistair walker, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Alistair walker

Alistair walker New Member

Hi

Just about to begin tiling my shower but not sure what adhesive to use. The tiles are pressed ceramic 600 x 300 and I'm tiling onto green moisture board. Was going to use Mapei mape stick ready mixed wall adhesive but I've heard a lot of people saying to use powder. The last time I used powder it dried up so quick, I can't see how it can allow enough time to fix, cut and stick. Would the ready mixed be ok for this size tile?

Attached Files:

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Those tiles are far too heavy for ready mixed cement.

First of all, I would Tank out the shower area.

Then use a flexible, slow setting powered adhesive, and a flexible grout.

CGN likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ghost is spot on. 600x300 is a large format tile so def use cement based addy, especially as it's a shower area too. Wise to use a brush on tanking as well...everbuild do one that is around £30 on amazon. Regardless of whether you use tanking or not, you'll need to use a tile primer first with bagged adhesive.

If your walls are pretty square, you should be able to do the majority of your cuts first with the first wall. As long as your tiles are reasonably tight to the corner, the adjacent wall tiles will cover any discrepancies here. If you don't use rapid set, you should have around an hour to work with your adhesive.

4. Alistair walker

Alistair walker New Member

Hi thanks for your response, can you expand on a tile primer. The tray is already stuck down onto a marine ply board,siliconed around edges behind aqua strip. Do I need to prime the plaster board next or should I use this tanking stuff before I begin tiling or are they the same thing?

Thanks

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You don't have to use tanking, but recommended. It usually comes as a kit with primer, tanking and corner tape. If you don't use it, you'll still need tile primer if using bagged adhesive.