Adhesive

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gordy1, Mar 31, 2015.

1. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hi, Does anyone know a good adhesive to fix Upvc to the outside of a fibreglass shower tray, I have had to lift the tray to suit the waste, so have to make up a plinth to fill the gap to the floor, I bought a length of 225mmW x 9mm thick Upvc, (which is really meant for soffits)but looks ok,this is flexible enough to bend round the outside of the corner tray, thing is it's got quite a spring in it when I let it go so need a good contact adhesive that will stick the Upvc without doing any damage to the fibreglass,but holds well, any ideas appreciated.

2. Not a 'contact' adhesive, so will need holding in place whilst it sets, but StixAll is awesome.

gordy1 likes this.
  3. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Thanks da, will have a look in my loal tool station, seems they sell it there.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As you've raised the shower tray, you may want to keep the UPVC trim removable in the future for maintenance access

In this case, silicon will do the job, nice bead between trim and shower tray, bend into position and use bricks, paint tins, etc, to hold trim in place whilst sili cures

You might want to add a few timber blocks on the floor to help support the trim (again sili between blocks and trim)

Any future waste problems, flexible blade to cut sili and you have access and trim is reusable

Just my suggestion

gordy1 and FatHands like this.
  5. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Frame out underneath and use screws with plastic caps so the panel is removable for future access then a bead of silicone on the top edge where it meets the tray

gordy1 likes this.
  6. Yeah stixall is the dogs danglies shame screwfix dont sell it (hint hint)

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

To get you started, once cut to length(sounds like you've done that already), take it outside(unless you have a bath to use), bend it just past the radius you require(couple of metres of string to tie it there) and pour boiling water all over the inside(back edge).
    Let it cool or give it a while and use cold water. Remove the string and it'll stay like that for a long time.
    Also consider having something fixed at the wall/s to keeps the ends in. And that way it can pop in and be self-holding even without gluing.
    You can then glue with confidence.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands and gordy1 like this.
  8. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Thanks for all your replays, I was wondering if that might work Handyandy,
    Will give it a go, all replies have been helpful, thanks.

9. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

A slight refinement to this method which I have used is to use a hot air gun where the bend is required. I used this on PVC panels in our bathroom for the corners. Didn't need to fit the corner strips supplied and the whole thing looks a lot neater without them. Warning: Practice on a scrap bit first!

gordy1 likes this.
  10. gordy1

gordy1 Member

11. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Thanks diyer will take this on board as well " pardon the pun".

12. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hi diyer, a follow up to my last reply, when you applied the heat did you do what Handyandy did, ie mould it first or did you stick it as you applied the heat?

Phil the Paver likes this.
  13. diymostthings

Hi gordy1 -sorry over the delay getting back - been travelling. Well the PVC panels I had, had a kind of honeycomb backing with a continuous decorative front surface. I had to first slit down the backing honeycomb at the point of the required bend. I then applied the hot air gun to the front surface (kept it moving fairly slowly but on medium heat) and gradually bent the panel at a right angle for both internal and external corners. On cooling, the bend remained. It took a bit of practice to get the timing right and each bend was about 1.7m long. With your project it should be much easier with a small width of PVC and you could get the required angle permanently set before gluing! But - have a good practice first!!

diymostthings

14. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hiya Diyer,thanks for getting back with your tips, I will be having a look at it during next week, keeping my fingers crossed, with all the sound advice , hopefully it should turn out ok, will keep you informed

15. diymostthings

How did you get on?

diymostthings

16. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hiya again diyer, got round to it at last, everything went well, looks fantastic, thanks to you & all who offered advice, cheers